Splunk Search

How to correlate a field from a query to a field from a lookup file?

dionrivera
Path Finder

Hello. I've been watching a few lookup videos but they mostly concentrate on extracting data from a lookup file. None of them are addressing a case where you have to correlate a field from a query to a field from a lookup file. Here is my example. I have a query (index=web username=mike) I would like to pull Mike's email from a emaillookup.csv file so that my final table result looks like below. 

username    email

mike               mike@yahoo.com

So far, I have tried index=web username=mike | lookup emaillookup.csv email OUTPUT username with no success

Labels (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index="web" AND username="mike"
| lookup emaillookup.csv nameFieldInLookupFIle AS username OUTPUT email

0 Karma

dionrivera
Path Finder

Thank you. I figured out my problem.

On the query I was trying to use username=mike and trying to reference the name mike in my emaillookup.csv lookup table. However, the name in the lookup table was in the form of mike@my-site.com . I had to regex the "@my-site.com" from the name mike in order to reference mike.  Once I was referencing mike on both the query and the lookup table, I was able to pull the fields I needed. 

Thanks for both of your recommendations

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can create a lookup definition and use "WILDCARD(user)" and make it "mike*" and it will match either.

dionrivera
Path Finder

So, if I had more than one user, could I use WILDCARD(user*)?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Any user that starts with "mike" would match.

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi,

Try swapping your input and output fields:

index=web username=mike | lookup emaillookup.csv username output email

The lookup command takes the form:

| lookup <lookup_name> <lookup_field_name> [as <event_field_name>] output <lookup_field_name_1> [as <event_field_name_1>] [<lookup_field_name_2> [as <event_field_name_2>] ...]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...