Splunk Search

How to convert a time field in with the format D.HH:MM:SS to seconds?

vchitrala

Hi,

I have execution time in the format of D:HH:DD:SS (0:00:00:22 ,0:00:00:55 ) that I need to convert to seconds. Any help is appreciated.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

your base search | rex field=execution_time "(?<day>\d+):(?<hour>\d+):(?<min>\d+):(?<sec>\d+)"
 | eval execution_time_sec = ((day*86400)+(hour*3600)+(min*60)+sec)
0 Karma

vchitrala
index=main sourcetype=edw-jobstep source=rptdb01 (JobNameParent=DW_Load_USBrands OR JobNameParent=DW_Load_EUBrands OR JobNameParent=DW_Load_PostBrands)   |  dedup JobStepsLogId  |  rex field=JobStepsExecutionDuration "(?\d+):(?\d+):(?\d+)'(?\d+)" | eval execution_time_sec = ((day*86400)+(hour*3600)+(min*60)+sec) | Table JobStepsExecutionDuration execution_time_sec JobStepStart JobStepEndenter 

above is not working, I still see nulls.

0 Karma

vchitrala

Thanks for query seems it is still not working 😞

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

There was a typo in my regex. Fixed it just now. (so gle quotes instead of colon). @richgalloway answer should've worked fine.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's one way.

... | rex field=execTime "(?<days>\d+):(?<hrs>\d+):(?<min>\d+):(?<sec>\d+)" | eval seconds = (days*86400) + (hrs*3600) + (min * 60) + sec | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

vchitrala
index=main sourcetype=edw-jobstep source=rptdb01 (JobNameParent=DW_Load_USBrands OR JobNameParent=DW_Load_EUBrands OR JobNameParent=DW_Load_PostBrands)   |  dedup JobStepsLogId  |  rex field=JobStepsExecutionDuration "(?\d+):(?\d+):(?\d+)'(?\d+)" | eval execution_time_sec = ((day*86400)+(hour*3600)+(min*60)+sec) | Table JobStepsExecutionDuration execution_time_sec JobStepStart JobStepEndenter 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Nulls for which field(s)?

---
0 Karma

vchitrala

JobStepsExecutionDuration can have nulls as time duration could be zero.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A null JobStepsExecutionDuration field will throw off the rest of the query. This query should account for that.

index=main sourcetype=edw-jobstep source=rptdb01 (JobNameParent=DW_Load_USBrands OR JobNameParent=DW_Load_EUBrands OR JobNameParent=DW_Load_PostBrands)   |  dedup JobStepsLogId  | fillnull value="0:00:00:00" JobStepsExecutionDuration |  rex field=JobStepsExecutionDuration "(?<day>\d+):(?<hour>\d+):(?<min>\d+)'(?<sec>\d+)" | eval execution_time_sec = ((day*86400)+(hour*3600)+(min*60)+sec) | table JobStepsExecutionDuration execution_time_sec JobStepStart JobStepEndenter
---
0 Karma

splunkton
Path Finder
0 Karma

vchitrala

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...