Splunk Search

How to convert a substring to a numeric value and evaluate the result?

aohls
Contributor

In this scenario, I have the following log "response time 34 ms". I want to extract just the number, 34, and evaluate if it is greater than 30. How could I go about doing this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

There can be multiple ways. One is

your current search which includes 'yourfield' which has value in format "response time 34 ms"
| rex field=yourfield "response time (?<response_timems>\d+) ms" | eval result=if(response_timems>30,">30","<=30)

other options

your current search which includes 'yourfield' which has value in format "response time 34 ms"
    | eval response_timems=replace(yourfield,"[A-z\s:]","")  | eval result=if(response_timems>30,">30","<=30)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

There can be multiple ways. One is

| rex field=yourfield "response time (?<response_timems>\d+) ms" | eval result=if(response_timems>30,">30","<=30)

other options

| eval response_timems=replace(yourfield,"[A-z\s:]","")  | eval result=if(response_timems>30,">30","<=30)
0 Karma

aohls
Contributor

Thank you this is perfect. Is it then possible for me to take the time as an integer value and do a analysis from there. In short I now have all items I need that specify "response time 30 ms". I want to pull out the 30 from the string and essentially see if this value is increasing overtime. Is this possible?

As this is a response time what I want to do is see if this value is increasing over time.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Both searches will give you a field called response_timems (response time in milliseconds), which you can use to trend your response time. One way could be to create a line chart

| rex field=yourfield "response time (?<response_timems>\d+) ms" | timechart avg(response_timems) as "Avg Response Time"
0 Karma

aohls
Contributor

It looks to make sense but I am not getting results. The field I have is a longer string and what I am looking for is a sub-string. Would I need to format this differently to account for this? So I have "xxxxx response time 42 ms xxxx".

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

You can try rex to begin with for your field extraction on sample data like one you have provided

<Your Base Search>
| rex field=_raw "response\stime\s(?<ResponseTime>\d+)\sms"
| where ResponseTime>30

However, with you complete set of data, you should try Splunk Interactive Field Extraction to let Splunk figure out required regular expression for extracting Response Time from your events.

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...