Splunk Search

How to configure Splunk with my python script for an external lookup?

yko84108

Hi,

I want to build my own python code that gets parameter IP address, My script using IP2Location and return information about the IP address with IP2Location DB IP2Location
https://www.ip2location.com/developers

So what I did is build my python script that receives IP address and returns CSV row with the result of IP2Location.
My script is located in:
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/bin

And in transforms.conf I configured According this tutorial:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/7.0.3/Knowledge/Configureexternallookups

[ip2location]
external_cmd = ip2location.py clientip 
fields_list = What shold I write here?

I'm trying to understand:
1. How do I need to configure the section on [ip2location] in transform.conf?
2. What is the meaning of fields_list?
3. How can I make my script to work in Splunk? I just want Splunk to give my script IP address and return csv as result.

Thanks

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
fields_list = <string>: is a list of all fields that are supported by the external lookup. The fields must be delimited by a comma followed by a space.

The above was in the link you shared. Please read the link again very carefully and I think you’ll resolve your problem.

Where will you “return csv”? Should it return as events in the search pipeline? Or are you making your external lookup code write a csv somewhere on the file system?

0 Karma

yko84108

Hi,
About 1 - I read that, but what that is mean about my csv? I need to write my csv fields?
"return csv" - mean I'm using python the use csv.writer to write to sys.stdout not to file system

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...