Splunk Search

How to compute a field using the previous value to simulate a data buffer?

davidgarcia

Here is my problem: I have several log sources form and I want to follow how many logs I receive every second. That's easy:

| tstats COUNT where index=logs_*  by _time,index span=1s 
| stats sum(COUNT) as eps by _time

Then I have to send these logs to an application that doesn't accept more than, let's say 1000 logs per second. So my plan is to use a buffer of some capacity, let's say 3000 logs and I want to know if that's enough and the data I can possibly lose. The following table is a simulation of what I'd like to have:
alt text

There is a burst at time 4 to 8s
I cannot manage to calculate "buffer". I tried several things with the autoregress command on the value "buffer", but I never get the correct answer. I suspect that this is not the correct way. I tried that for example:

| tstats COUNT where index=logs_*  by _time,index span=1s 
| stats sum(COUNT) as eps by _time
| autoregress buffer p=1 |eval buffer = case(buffer_p1+eps-1000<=0,0,buffer_p1+eps-1000>3000,3000,true(),buffer_p1+eps-1000)

Does not work at all, there is a basic problem with the initialization of the field "buffer".
Any help welcomed!

Thanks
David

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...