Splunk Search

How to compare two search results and list difference and matches?

ikenahim7
Explorer

Hi guys im new to Splunk, 

Im trying to write a query to compare two search results and shows the differences and the matches, both search results are coming from the same index. 

I would like to have something like this, where {path-values}  hold the paths values and {countpath} holds the count.

Build-type   |  paths-count | matches-values    | diff-values             | matches-count | diff-count| 

gradle           | 20K                  | {path-values}         | {path-values}        | {countpath}         | {countpath} 

bazel             | 10K                  | {path-values}         | {path-values}       | {countpath}           | {countpath} 

my index is based on this json, where total event is a 30k (number of json posted to splunk)

{"source":"build","sourcetype":"json","event":{"type":"bazel","paths":["test3"]}}

my current query looks like:

index="build" type="bazel"
| stats values(paths{}) as paths | stats count(eval(paths)) AS totalbazelpaths
| mvexpand totalbazelpaths
| eval eventFound = 0
| join type=left run_id paths
[ index="build" type="gradle"
| stats values(paths{}) as paths | stats count(eval(paths)) AS totalgradlepaths
| mvexpand totalgradlepaths
| eval eventFound=1]
| eval percentage = round(totalbazelpaths/totalgradlepaths, 10)
| table totalgradlepaths totalbazelpaths percentage

any help how to achieve this? @yuanliu 

Thanks 

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Small correction: search command wildcard doesn't work in where command.  So, either | search paths{} !="*.cpp" or | where match('paths{}', "\.cpp$") after  mvexpand, e.g.,

index="build" (type="bazel" OR type="gradle")
| mvexpand paths{}
| search paths{} != *.cpp
| eventstats dc(type) as typecount values(type) as types by paths{}
| eval matches_values = if(typecount>1, 'paths{}', null()), diff_values = if(typecount>1, null(), 'paths{}')
| stats dc(eval('paths{}')) as paths-count values(*_values) as *_values dc(*_values) as *-count by type

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ikenahim7
Explorer

Thanks a lot, query looks as expected 🙂

0 Karma

martinpu
Communicator

Try this:

index="build" type="bazel" OR type="gradle"
| stats values(paths{}) as paths_values, dc(paths{}))  as distinct_paths_count c(paths{}))  as count_paths  by type

Not sure what you mean by matches.

0 Karma

ikenahim7
Explorer

I meant by matches, paths that are common for both type gradle and bazel.

so the idea is to show number of paths for each type (bazel and gradle)

show the number of common paths between bazel and gradle  and show the actual paths value that are common 

shows the number of paths that aren’t common  and show the actual paths thats aren't common. 

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure if it is useful to show every column as illustrated, but it's certainly doable.  Sample code could be

| mvexpand paths{}
| eval matches_values = if(typecount>1, 'paths{}', null()), diff_values = if(typecount>1, null(), 'paths{}')
| stats dc(eval('paths{}')) as paths-count values(*_values) as *_values dc(*_values) as *-count by type

Using simulated data based on your example, you can get

_rawtypepaths-countdiff_valuesmatches_valuesdiff-countmatches-count
{"source":"build","sourcetype":"json","event":{"type":"bazel","paths":["test1", "test3"]}}bazel2test1test311
{"source":"build","sourcetype":"json","event":{"type":"gradle","paths":["test2", "test3"]}}gradle2test2test311

ikenahim7
Explorer

The query works as expected thanks a lot. 

If I want to extend the query to ignore some paths based on a string value , how i can achieve that ?

assuming I have:

{"source":"build","sourcetype":"json","event":{"type":"bazel","paths":["test1.cpp", "test3.c"]}} 

{"source":"build","sourcetype":"json","event":{"type":"gradle","paths":["test2.cpp", "test3.py"]}}

Comparing this two I want to ignore path with extension ".cpp" from being used while comparing Gradle with Bazel ?, so the total account of Gradle path wont count paths with .cpp and also wont be list in diff_values ?

Thanks 🙂

0 Karma

martinpu
Communicator

You could try the mvfilter command or use 
| where 'paths{}' !="*.cpp"
after the mvexpand

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Small correction: search command wildcard doesn't work in where command.  So, either | search paths{} !="*.cpp" or | where match('paths{}', "\.cpp$") after  mvexpand, e.g.,

| mvexpand paths{}
| search paths{} != *.cpp
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...