Splunk Search

How to compare two CSVs and see what's missing from the original?

russell120
Communicator

Hi, consider these two CSVs

septemberheros.csv:

name    alias       best_power       origin
clark   superman     flight          krypton
bruce   batman       wealth          earth
diane   wonderwoman  strength     paradise_island

octoberheros.csv

clark   superman    ice_breath       krypton
diane   wonderwoman  strength     paradise_island

I need a search that will compare these two CSV files and display events that are missing/changed from the first CSV file (septermberheros.csv). With this example the result should look like this since the batman row was deleted and flight was changed to ice_breath in the superman row:

clark   superman     flight          krypton
bruce   batman       wealth          earth
0 Karma

russell120
Communicator

Additional note for context: My real data has thousands of events. Each event is a device with an ip, mac, etc. I would just like to be able to compare two inventory CSVs from separate days to see which devices are missing or changed.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You'd need a primary key based on which things can be compared, what would that primary key be in your real data? or in your sample data.

0 Karma

russell120
Communicator

@somesoni2 By primary key do you refer to a field(s) or field value(s)? If so, the fields to compare against should be name and alias and best_power and origin (in reality I'd need to see if ip's or mac addresses, etc. have been changed or are missing. But I also need to be able to see that the bruce row has been deleted completely.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...