Splunk Search

How to compare predefined fields against Splunk search query? And then for each mismatch in result?

chandysir
Explorer

Hello All,

I am new to Splunk.

My Splunk index is already getting data from a Kafka source

index=k_index sourcetype=k_message
The query result is something like 
{Field1=abc,Field2=sdfs,Field3=wertw,Field4=123,Field6=87089R....}

I have got a use case where I have a list of fields and associated datatypes, 

I want to compare these predefined fields (fields only - no values) against the Splunk search query results and then for each mismatch in the result, needs to keep count of it and produce it as a percentage of the total. In short, give a score if the incoming events in the last 15 mins are good (like 100% or 90% ….etc)

Thanks,

Alwyn

Labels (7)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

SPL is not a procedural language - having said that, you could evaluate a field based on the presence of other fields in each event

| eval good=if{isnotnull(Field1) AND isnotnull(Field2) AND isnotnull(Field3) AND isnotnull(Field4) AND isnotnull(Field6), "good", null())
| stats count count(good) as good
| eval percentage=round(100*good/count, 2)

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try something like this

| rex "(?<good>\{Field1=.+,Field2=.+,Field3=.+,Field4=.+,Field6=.+\}"

chandysir
Explorer

Thankyou @ITWhisperer , This is a good one.

The fields are already parsed out by splunk. 

So I am thinking of something without using regular expressions.

In simple terms it could be like

> if (Field1, Field2... Fieldn) in predefined list (Field1,Field2,Field3.......Fieldm), then its a pass else the failure counter is increased.

Any suggestions ?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

SPL is not a procedural language - having said that, you could evaluate a field based on the presence of other fields in each event

| eval good=if{isnotnull(Field1) AND isnotnull(Field2) AND isnotnull(Field3) AND isnotnull(Field4) AND isnotnull(Field6), "good", null())

chandysir
Explorer

Thankyou @ITWhisperer ,

Maybe its an overkill but I am thinking of printing the failed event or event identifiers (if percentage is 98, and eventCount is 100, then 2 events)  alongside the result.

Is that possible ? I think that would make a more complex spl search, right.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The trick is that they do not have to be extracted. If you search in fast mode, since Splunk doesn't need the field values (they weren't specified either in search itself or calculations in the pipeline), they would not get extracted. Only a single regex match would be performed on each event, which is relatively efficient compared to several separate regexes needed for single fields.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...