Splunk Search

How to combine two searches to evaluate uptime percentage?

brywilk_umich
Path Finder

Hello,

I have nagios feeding data into splunk. The below searches give me ping (up, down) and a service check (ok, critical). While the separate searches seem to work great, I would like to combine them and have a overall uptime percentage for availability, and in the future will likely add more nagios checks to combine. Both searches have a similar Server field.

index=nagios perfdata="HOSTPERFDATA" tag::src_host=collaboration hoststate | eventstats count as "totalCount" | eventstats count as "choiceCount" by hoststate | eval percent=(choiceCount/totalCount)*100 | stats values(percent) by hoststate

index=nagios name="check__smtp" AND perfdata="SERVICEPERFDATA" tag::src_host=collaboration | eventstats count as "totalCount" | eventstats count as "choiceCount" by severity | eval percent=(choiceCount/totalCount)*100 | stats values(percent) by severity

thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Assuming host=down and severity=critical means host was not available, then try this.

index=nagios  tag::src_host=collaboration (perfdata="HOSTPERFDATA" hoststate) OR (name="check__smtp" perfdata="SERVICEPERFDATA") | eval availabilityStatus=if(hoststate="down" OR severity="critical","Unavailable","Available" | stats count(eval(availabilityStatus="Unavailable")) as unavailCount, count as totalCount | eval percentAvailable=(unavailCount/totalCount)*100 | table percentAvailable

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Assuming host=down and severity=critical means host was not available, then try this.

index=nagios  tag::src_host=collaboration (perfdata="HOSTPERFDATA" hoststate) OR (name="check__smtp" perfdata="SERVICEPERFDATA") | eval availabilityStatus=if(hoststate="down" OR severity="critical","Unavailable","Available" | stats count(eval(availabilityStatus="Unavailable")) as unavailCount, count as totalCount | eval percentAvailable=(unavailCount/totalCount)*100 | table percentAvailable

brywilk_umich
Path Finder

Never mind I did a stats on Available and based the percentAvailable off of that.....

thanks again!

brywilk_umich
Path Finder

Found 1 little flaw, the percent available comes out to 0 if their arent any unavailable events. Any thoughts on fixing that?

0 Karma

brywilk_umich
Path Finder

Awesome looks like that did the trick after a small tweak!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...