Splunk Search

How to combine two searches to compare and find values present in one but not other

atulitm
Path Finder

Hello ,
I have data from 2 diff source with same fields as shown below :

index= sourcetype= source= test.txt
device_name="alpha" pool_name="a"
device_name="beta" pool_name="b"
device_name="gamma" pool_name="c"

index= sourcetype= source=test1.txt
device_name="alpha" pool_name="a"
device_name="beta" pool_name="b"
device_name="gamma" pool_name="z"

eval actual_pools = toString(device_name) + ";" + toString(pool_name)

I am looking for field actual_pools using raw data which i created above which exist in source=test1.txt but not in source=test.txt . tried using join and append but unable to compare .

Please help with the same , thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If there are fewer than 10,000 results in test.txt then a subsearch should work. This query searches for all events in test1.txt that are not among the events in test.txt. Then the results are formatted into the 'actual_pools' field.

index=foo sourcetype=bar source=test1.txt device_name=* pool_name=* NOT [ search index=foo sourcetype=bar source=test.txt device_name=* pool_name=* ]
| eval actual_pools = device_name.";'".pool_name
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

atulitm
Path Finder

This doesnt work because source=test.txt has 2 more fields in logs so it will not be able to remove because logs will have few more variables hence not exact match to subtract test.txt from test1.txt .

device_name="alpha" pool_name="a" x_name="" y_name=""

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So it works for the given use case, but not the real use case. Try this alternative.

index=foo sourcetype=bar source=test1.txt device_name=* pool_name=* NOT 
  [ search index=foo sourcetype=bar source=test.txt device_name=* pool_name=* 
  | fields device_name pool_name x_name y_name 
  | format  ]
| eval actual_pools = device_name.";'".pool_name
---
0 Karma

atulitm
Path Finder

I didn't understood logic behind how formatted data of source=test.txt will be removed from source=test1.txt but this doesn't work it shows exact data in source=test1.txt .

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The idea is the subsearch returns a string that is appended to the main search and specifies the events that will be excluded (because of NOT) from the main search's results. Run the subsearch by itself to see what I mean. If the result of the subsearch dont' fit your data or goal then adjust it as necessary.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...