Splunk Search

How to combine two search result with different fields in single dashboard?

navb
Loves-to-Learn

Hello,

I have logs in two index,

Index=flow_log

Fields required,

src_ip, src_port, dest_ip, dest_port, network interface

Index=config

src_ip, network interface, security group ID , security group name

In both the index src_ip and network interface information are common, I wanted to make a dashboard with these index and below fields. how do I combine these different fields  in one dashboard.

network interface src_ip  src_port  dest_ip  dest_port security group id  security group name.

Please help.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Search both indexes then use the stats command to group the results by the common fields.

index=flow_log OR index=config
| stats values(*) as * by network_interface src_ip
| table network_interface src_ip src_port dest_ip dest_port security_group_id  security_group_name

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

navb
Loves-to-Learn

Hello richgalloway,

Thanks you for your quick response!

I am getting below result in table,

network_interface src_ip src_port dest_ip dest_port

Below fields are blank, these fields are only available in config index.

security_group_id  security_group_name

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Double-check the field names.  I took the liberty of replacing spaces in the OP with underscores, but if the real field names are different then the query will have to be updated to match reality.

---
0 Karma

navb
Loves-to-Learn

The field names are correct but while table the result it come blank.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the fields are empty then there is no value for that src_ip/network_interface pair in the config index.

If you sort on the security_group_name and/or security_group_id fields do you see any values?  If you do then check the src_ip and network_interface values to make sure the same values are present in both indexes.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...