Splunk Search

How to combine tstats with inputlookup?

nmohammed
Contributor

I am trying to produce report to get total usage based on time and clientid from a lookup.

Here is the regular tstats search:

| tstats count FROM datamodel=Enc groupby  _time span=1d, Enc.clientid

The above search gives results for all the clientids in the particular index, but I need results for only a list of clientids which is in the DC-Clients.csv

I tried the following, but doesn't produce any results:

| tstats count FROM datamodel=Enc groupby  _time span=1d, Enc.clientid | search [| inputlookup DC-Clients.csv | fields + clientid]

Example contents of DC-Clients.csv

Actual Clientid,clientid

I need to filter results to produce a report for only the clientids in the CSV file. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks..!!!

0 Karma
1 Solution

nmohammed
Contributor

Was able to get the desired results.

First I changed the field name in the DC-Clients.csv lookup file from clientid to Enc.clientid and saved it. So the new DC-Clients.csv file contents look like this:

contents of DC-Clients.csv

Actual Clientid,Enc.clientid

Then the in the search, I used the field Enc.clientid that matches the field in the data model as follows ...

New search:

| tstats count FROM datamodel=Enc groupby  _time span=1d, Enc.clientid | search [| inputlookup DC-Clients.csv | fields + Enc.clientid]

tstats produces results much faster than the original search I was using.

Thanks..!!!

View solution in original post

my2ndhead
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A faster variant would be to add the filter directly into the tstats command:

| tstats count FROM datamodel=Enc where [ | inputlookup DC-Clients.csv | fields + Enc.clientid ]  groupby  _time span=1d, Enc.clientid  by host

nmohammed
Contributor

Was able to get the desired results.

First I changed the field name in the DC-Clients.csv lookup file from clientid to Enc.clientid and saved it. So the new DC-Clients.csv file contents look like this:

contents of DC-Clients.csv

Actual Clientid,Enc.clientid

Then the in the search, I used the field Enc.clientid that matches the field in the data model as follows ...

New search:

| tstats count FROM datamodel=Enc groupby  _time span=1d, Enc.clientid | search [| inputlookup DC-Clients.csv | fields + Enc.clientid]

tstats produces results much faster than the original search I was using.

Thanks..!!!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...