Splunk Search

How to combine searches from multiple source files?

toernerg
Observer

I have the following 2 logs

DRT.log:  This consists of the following log lines:

{"date_time":"20220823-13:11:11.622475033","severity":"INFO","dc":"DRT"}

{"date_time":"20220823-13:11:11.622475099","severity":"INFO","version":"1.1.1"}
{"date_time":"20220823-13:11:11.622475099","severity":"INFO","state":"running"}

And CME.log: This consists of the following logs lines:

{"date_time":"20220823-13:11:11.622475033","severity":"INFO","dc":"CME"}

{"date_time":"20220823-13:11:11.622475099","severity":"INFO","version":"2.2.2"}
{"date_time":"20220823-13:11:11.622475033","severity":"INFO","state":"down"}

The output I want to display is a table that looks like the following:

DataCenter    Version     State
DRT           1.1.1       running
CME           2.2.2       down

I have noticed that if I specify the explicit source file then them my search query works for that individual source.   As example: 

index=exc_md_qa sourcetype="ctc:md:tickerplant" source="/splunk_log/DRT.log" | spath | search severity="INFO" | dc, version, state  | stats  values(dc) as DataCenter latest(version) as Version latest(state) as State

This above search returns:

DataCenter   Version     State
DRT          1.1.1       running

And likewise if I replace the source with the other log file, I get this...

index=exc_md_qa sourcetype="ctc:md:tickerplant" source="/splunk_log/CME.log" | spath | search severity="INFO" | fields dc, version, state  | stats  values(dc) as DataCenter latest(version) as Version latest(state) as State

This search yields the following:

DataCenter     Version     State
CME            2.2.2       down

However if I run the search with a wildcard for the source, I only get partial results...

index=exc_md_qa sourcetype="ctc:md:tickerplant" source="/splunk_log/*.log" | spath | severity="INFO" | fields dc, version  | stats  values(dc) as DataCenter latest(version) as Version latest(state) as State

This yields the following (with missing data from DRT)

DataCenter     Version    State
CME            2.2.2      down
DRT   

Or sorting by DataCenter then I don;t get the state at all...

index=exc_md_qa sourcetype="ctc:md:tickerplant" source="/splunk_log/*.log" | spath | severity="INFO" | fields dc, version  | stats  latest(version) as Version latest(state) as State by dc

This yields:
DataCenter     Version    State
CME            2.2.2      
DRT            1.1.1

So the question is how do I combine them into one search.  I think the brunt of the issue is tying the dc, state and version fields to the same source, but not sure how to do that

Any help is much appreciated!

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

toernerg
Observer

To say this a different way... it is giving me the "latest" value of all logs combined; but really what I need is the "latest" value from each source file

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...