Splunk Search

How to check if value is not null in a comparison?

Julia1231
Communicator

Hi,

I want to check if all the value (from different fields) are < a, it will mark as yes.

If one of them > a, it will be "no". 

Knowing that it's not always have 3 values (some id has only value1 or (value1 and value2)), this eval will give nothing in the result.

|eval test=if(value1<a and value2<a and value3<a, "yes", "no")

I'm searching for a way to take into account only when a value is not null.

|eval test=if(isnotnull(value1)<a and isnotnull(value2)<a and isnotnull(value3)<a, "yes", "no")

but I have this error: Error in 'eval' command: Type checking failed. The '<' operator received different types.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think you just need a logic to handle cases when a field is null.  According to your description, isnull(anyvalue) would go with "yes".  Hence,

| eval test=if((isnull(value1) OR value1<a) and (isnull(value2) OR value2<a) and (isnull(value3) OR value3<a), "yes", "no")

This is assuming that at least one of value1, value2, and value3 always exists.  If you want to assign "no" to cases where all 3 fields are null, add one more condition:

| eval test=if((isnull(value1) OR value1<a) and (isnull(value2) OR value2<a) and (isnull(value3) OR value3<a) AND isnotnull(coalesce(value1, value2, value3)), "yes", "no")
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You haven't said whether a null value is good or not

|eval test=if((isnotnull(value1) and value1<a) and (isnotnull(value2) and value2<a) and (isnotnull(value3) and value3<a), "yes", "no")

or

|eval test=if((isnull(value1) or value1<a) and (isnull(value2) or value2<a) and (isnull(value3) or value3<a), "yes", "no")
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...