Splunk Search

How to check extracted field data are consistent across the events and it can be used for data normalization?

Hemnaath
Motivator

Hi All,

Hey I had couple of  fields extracted and most of the field values are Null and contains lesser field value captured in it.

Example:

raw data 

{"name":"X-ABC-ConversationID","value":"79xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxf76"}
{"name":"ABC-ConversationID","value":"3xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb7a"}
{"name":"abc-conversationid","value":"cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxee993d"}

Query: 

index=xxx sourcetype=xxx:xxx:xxx httpsourcename=xxx
| rex field=_raw "\{\"name\"\:\"(xxx|xxx|X)\-(ConversationID|conversationid|xxx)\-?(ConversationID|\")?(\"|,)(\"|,)\"value\"\:\"(?<xxx_ConversationID>[^\"]+)"
| table xxx_ConversationID | fillnull value=NULL

When I checked the statistic view , I could see that most of them have "NULL" value only few fields are filled with the exact value.

I do understand that there is a possibility that only few field might be having the value, but I wanted to check what is the percentage of values captured for that fields, so I followed the below steps.

In Splunk, I selected  the verbose mode and field name, executed the query for last 30 days and when checked the Percentage for the selected field I could see the below value 

Total Events captured for 30 days is 13,628,581 (All Events).

For selected extracted field value

24 Values, 0.732% of events

Question:

1) The Percentage of the event is less than 1% , so  whether should I consider this field value for data normalization .

2) Is there a query to find the amount of data captured for the extracted field containing the value alone, excluding the NULL value.

I had used the below  query for finding the unique value and their count.

| rex field=_raw "\{\"name\"\:\"(xxx|xxx|X)\-(ConversationID|conversationid|xxx)\-?(ConversationID|\")?(\"|,)(\"|,)\"value\"\:\"(?<xxx_ConversationID>[^\"]+)"
| table xxx_ConversationID | fillnull value=NULL | where xxx_ConversationID!="NULL" | stats values(xxx_ConversationID),count(xxx_ConversationID)

But when I want to find for 36 fields, I am not sure how to write a query to check the same, can you guide me on the query please.

Thanks in advance. 

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@Hemnaath 

For arbitrary JSON data, a simple way to summarize field values may be:

| spath
| fieldsummary

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...