Splunk Search

How to change the _time to values inside the event data?

twmoffit
Explorer

I want to make area graphs of data usage on individual servers based on the timestamp given in the event data and not the default _time values.

This is an example of an event:

2017-06-29 19:32:57.254, DBNAME="BRMTPRD", SNAP_DATE="2017-06-18 03:00:32.0", TS_TYPE="REDO", TS_NAME="ONLINE_REDO_STBY", ALLOCATED_KB="3686400", USED_KB="3686400", FREE_KB="0", PCT_USED="100", LARGEST="0"

I want to use the "SNAP_DATE" field as my "_time" values and then measure the "USED_KB" per day of "SNAP_DATE."

Anything helps, thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi twmoffit,
try something like this:

your_search
| eval SNAP_DATE=strptime(SNAP_DATE,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%N")
| bin span=1d SNAP_DATE
| eval SNAP_DATE=strftime(SNAP_DATE,"%Y-%m-%d")
| chart sum(USED_KB) by SNAP_DATE

Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Claw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If I understand your example and you have date and time in year=2018 month=04 day=05 hour=20 you will have to convert this to a single field for the strptime command to work.

| eval my_time=year."-".month."-".day."-".hour."-0-0"
| eval _time=strptime(my_time,"%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S")

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

Claw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Check out this blog.

https://www.splunk.com/blog/2016/09/16/i-cant-make-my-time-range-picker-pick.html

This will make the time range picker work and more.

0 Karma

liondancer
Explorer

I followed the instructions on the blog post and could not get it to work. I have a time field within my logs as
year=2018 month=04 day=05 hour=20 event_count=100. The event came in 2018-06-03 2000. I want to use the time picker to select events by their year, month, day, hour time fields. NOT when they came in. I overrode _time as well. This is what I have in my source

index=index_1 OR index=index_2 category=mobile event_type=hive_events zone=aws
        | eval _time=strptime(time,"%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S") 
        | sort - _time
        | addinfo
        | where _time >= info_min_time AND (_time <= info_max_time OR info_max_time = "+Infinity")
        | eval DateHour=year."-".month."-".day."-".hour
        | eval Start_Time=strftime(info_min_time, "%Y-%m-%d-%H:00")
        | eval End_Time=strftime(info_max_time, "%Y-%m-%d-%H:00")
        | table DateHour _time Start_time info_min_time End_time info_max_time zone event_count
0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Base Search ... | eval _time = strptime(SNAP_DATE, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%1Q") | timechart span=1d avg(USED_KB)

Obviously, replace avg(blah) with max or some other function as necessary.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi twmoffit,
try something like this:

your_search
| eval SNAP_DATE=strptime(SNAP_DATE,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%N")
| bin span=1d SNAP_DATE
| eval SNAP_DATE=strftime(SNAP_DATE,"%Y-%m-%d")
| chart sum(USED_KB) by SNAP_DATE

Bye.
Giuseppe

twmoffit
Explorer

Great that works but now how do I make it so that the data is split up by the database name. I want to be able to compare the usages by each database in the index and create one graph showing the difference.

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

... | rex field=_raw "DBNAME=\"(?\S+)\" | chart sum(USED_KB) over SNAP_DATE by DBNAME

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

[]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
TIME_FORMAT=%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N
TIME_PREFIX=\d+-\d+-\d+\s\d+:\d+:\d+.\d+\,\sDBNAME=\"\S+\",\sSNAP_DATE=\"
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=21
CHARSET=UTF-8

niketn
Legend

Similar to what @sbbadri proposed following should be added for your existing sourcetype definition (TIME_PREFIX=SNAP_DATE=" should be sufficient):

[Your_Source_Type]
TIME_FORMAT=%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%N
TIME_PREFIX=SNAP_DATE="
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=21

You would need to re-index existing data.

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...