Splunk Search

How to calculate time elapsed since now from IIS logs

DaClyde
Contributor

I need to be able to show how long it has been since a user uploaded or downloaded a specific type of data based on the content of IIS logs. Basically I'm trying to set up a dashboard that will show the users, and the the number of days since they last posted or downloaded data. I can build the query to show the data, or count the bytes of how much was uploaded or downloaded, but can't figure out the time calculation. Can anyone help? I'm stuck using 4.0.11 for now. Thanks!

I need results that look something like:

USER      DOWNLOAD     UPLOAD
user1       0d           3d
user2       1d           17d
user5       8d           8d

1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Generally speaking, you can compute the elapsed time (in seconds) since any indexed event using something like this:

my_search | eval timedelta=now()-_time

Converting that value from seconds to days/hours/minutes is mostly an exercise in division and remainders.

(Now that I see your example)

| eval time_delta_days=floor(timedelta/86400 )
| eval time_delta_hours=floor((timedelta % 86400) / 3600)

To clarify a little further, "_time" is the timestamp extracted from the event by Splunk's datetime parser. There is also "_indextime" which is the timestamp of when the Splunk stored the event. (Thanks hexx!)

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The tostring(X,Y) function of the eval command might also work here when using the "duration" mode :

tostring(X,"duration") : converts seconds X to readable time format HH:MM:SS.

For full reference and examples, consult the following documentation links :

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions
http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/SearchReference/Eval#Example_5

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Generally speaking, you can compute the elapsed time (in seconds) since any indexed event using something like this:

Converting that value from seconds to days/hours/minutes is mostly an exercise in division and remainders.

(Now that I see your example)

| eval time_delta_days=floor(timedelta/86400 )
| eval time_delta_hours=floor((timedelta % 86400) / 3600)

To clarify a little further, "_time" is the timestamp extracted from the event by Splunk's datetime parser. There is also "_indextime" which is the timestamp of when the Splunk stored the event. (Thanks hexx!)

DaClyde
Contributor

Ok, this is getting me there (I've gone from completely ignorant to almost completely ignorant, so that's progress): sourcetype="iis" cs_username!="-" POST cs_bytes>1024 | eval timedelta=now()-_time | eval time_delta_days=floor(timedelta/86400) | eval time_delta_hours=floor((timedelta % 86400) / 3600) |stats first(time_delta_days) as time by cs_username

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My first guess would be that "top" is stripping off the time information before eval gets a chance to see it. You may need to rearrange your order of operations a bit to get to what you desire.

0 Karma

DaClyde
Contributor

Thanks for the response! So far, all it returns in the results table is a list of usernames, but nothing in the timedelta or time_delta_days fields. Here's my search:

sourcetype="iis" cs_username!="-" sc_status="200" POST cs_bytes>1024 | top cs_username limit="100" | eval timedelta=now()-_time | eval time_delta_days=floor(timedelta/86400) | eval time_delta_hours=floor((timedelta % 86400) / 3600) | fields cs_username,time_delta_days,timedelta

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...