Splunk Search

How to build daily average (response time) with data containing hourly average and number of events per hour?

tomgc
Engager

Hello Everyone,

I construct a csv (output)lookup file containing the hourly average response time, the hourly number of events and the service concerned.
This file is updated daily (scheduled append).

index=apache  [...]
| bin _time span=1h 
| stats avg(responseTimeMilliseconds) as avgResponseTimeMilliseconds count(responseTimeMilliseconds) as numberOfEvents by _time Service
| table _time, Service,avgResponseTimeMilliseconds, numberOfEvents
| outputlookup hourlyaverage.csv append=true

This results in file containing the following columns:
_time | Service | avgResponseTimeMilliseconds | numberOfEvents

This "hourly" file is used for a certain audience.
Still another audience requests a report every quarter of the daily average response time.

Since I have the first file, I would like to avoid the generation of a second file as the daily average can be computed based on the hourly average and the number of events in each hour.
daily average=Sum(hourly average*hourly events)/daily events

I still can't figure out how to make it in Splunk.

Thanks already for your support,

Tom

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You could try using a summary index for this, too.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

| inputlookup hourlyaverage.csv 
| addinfo
| where _time >= info_min_time AND _time <= info_max_time
| bin _time span=1d
| stats avg(responseTimeMilliseconds) AS responseTimeMilliseconds sum(numberOfEvents ) AS numberOfEvents by _time Service
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...