Splunk Search

How to build a search with queries depending on each other?

moguai
Explorer

I have a scenario where typical HTTP requests are logged in Splunk.
Every request has an unique identifier which is saved in a "request_id" field.
Between request and response the server generates a set of logs/events and each one has  this "request_id" added.

So far so good. Now it is possible to find the appropriate server logs for a client HTTP issue via the "request_id".

Now I often also have the requirement to find all errors for a particular device.

In this scenario the device identifier is part of the first log/event of the request, but the following logs/events do not have this information any more.

So basically something like:
1. req.begin "Started... deviceId=12345", request_id="1"
2. .... "request_id="1" deviceId=???
3. .... "request_id="1" deviceId=???
4. .... "request_id="1" deviceId=???
5. req.end ... "request_id="1" deviceId=???

The search would look like:
- Search for all "request.begin" events with device identifier "xyz"
- Get all "request_id" of those events
- and finally get all events containing one of the above "request_id"

Not sure how to build the query for this. 🤔

Would be very grateful for some tips!

Best regards
Tore

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jacobpevans
Motivator

I misunderstood your question. Try this:

sourcetype=requests
| eventstats values(device_id) as device_id by request_id
| search device_id="XYZ"

Side note: you should start every search with "index=ABC" for much more optimized searching.

Cheers,
Jacob

If you feel this response answered your question, please do not forget to mark it as such. If it did not, but you do have the answer, feel free to answer your own post and accept that as the answer.

View solution in original post

jacobpevans
Motivator

Greetings @moguai ,

Take a look at this search. It should get you close to what you're after. Note that the eventstats and the stats will work by themselves without the other. I included both so you will have more options with manipulating your dataset.

| makeresults | eval _raw = "req.begin \"Started... deviceId=\"12345\", request_id=\"1\""
| append [ | makeresults | eval _raw = ".... \"request_id=\"1\" deviceId=???" ]
| append [ | makeresults | eval _raw = "req.end ... \"request_id=\"1\" deviceId=???" ]
| reverse
| rex "deviceId=\"?(?<deviceId>\d+)\"?"
| rex "request_id=\"?(?<request_id>\d+)\"?"

| eventstats values(deviceId) as deviceId by request_id
| stats list(_raw) as events by request_id

Cheers,
Jacob

If you feel this response answered your question, please do not forget to mark it as such. If it did not, but you do have the answer, feel free to answer your own post and accept that as the answer.
0 Karma

moguai
Explorer

Hi @jacobpevans ,

thanks for the fast response! I think I am still a bit confused. 😅

Maybe a bit more practical:

sourcetype="requests" device_id="XYZ"

As result I get e.g. 10 events with 10 different "request_id" (separate field) from that XYZ device.

Than I need to query all events matching the 10 "request_id" I got from the 10 events, because the "device_id" is only available for the first log.

sourcetype="requests" request_id="1" OR request_id="2" OR request_id="3" ... 

Would still the approach you mentioned the way to go?

BR,
Tore

0 Karma

jacobpevans
Motivator

I misunderstood your question. Try this:

sourcetype=requests
| eventstats values(device_id) as device_id by request_id
| search device_id="XYZ"

Side note: you should start every search with "index=ABC" for much more optimized searching.

Cheers,
Jacob

moguai
Explorer

Thanks a lot!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...