Splunk Search

How to assign value to a field which is not present in some of the events and compare that value with other values from other events where that field is present?

abhi04
Communicator

How to assign value to a field which is not present in some of the events and compare that value with other values from other events where that field is present?

I have events where field named "SSLProxyEngine" have values "ON" or "OFF" for some of the events but for some events that field is not present. I want to assign value "NONE" to SSlProxyEngine where the field is not present and then compare this value with othere events value.

How can I do that?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi abhi04,

first you run your search to get the events and add an eval statement to check if the field exists or not, and if not assign it the value. Try this:

your search here
 | eval SSLProxyEngine = case(isnull(SSLProxyEngine), "NONE", isnotnull(SSLProxyEngine), SSLProxyEngine, 1=1, "unknown")

the last option is for events that does not match anything 😉

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

Sukisen1981
Champion

| eval yourfield=if(isnull(yourfield),"NONE",yourfield)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...