Splunk Search

How to apply a rangemap to string values?

butzowj
Path Finder

Hi Splunkers!

I am running the following search to try and apply a "low" rangemap value if a string matches "up", and a "severe" rangemap value if the string matches "down", but I can' t get the eval field to show in the search results.

Here is the search I am using:

index=f5 pool | head 1 | eval alert_level = case(F5_TCPStatus=="up",1,F5_TCPStatus=="down",0) | rangemap field=alert_level low=1-1 elevated=2-2 severe=3-3

Thanks for any help!

JB

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Since you are forcing the values for alert why not make sure they fall within the range. Something like

|  eval alert_level = case(F5_TCPStatus="up",5,F5_TCPStatus="down",15,1=1, 25) | rangemap field=alert_level  low=1-10 elevated=11-20 severe=21-30

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

Since you are forcing the values for alert why not make sure they fall within the range. Something like

|  eval alert_level = case(F5_TCPStatus="up",5,F5_TCPStatus="down",15,1=1, 25) | rangemap field=alert_level  low=1-10 elevated=11-20 severe=21-30

butzowj
Path Finder

Thanks for the help Sunda, I actually ended up using the if function to do what I needed, as below:

index=f5 pool rtlvpxaw01 | head 1 | eval status=if(F5_TCPStatus="up",10,0) | stats sum(status) AS severity | rangemap field=severity severe=0-9 low=10-11 default=elevated

Cheers,
JB

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...