Splunk Search

How to aggregate a percentage of a total before another search?

faramarz
Path Finder

Hey! I am trying to figure out how to aggregate a percentage of the total before another search like this:

eventName = pageLoad | eventstats count as Total | search currentPage "\/brands\/" | stats count(currentPage) as counter by currentPage | eval percent = counter/Total

The percent field is always empty when I try to display it using table, and the variable Total seems to disappear once I get past the stats command. What should I do to preserve that total? Thanks!

Best,
F

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The stats will remove all other fields which are not specified. Try something like this

eventName = pageLoad | eventstats count as Total | search currentPage "\/brands\/" | stats count(currentPage) as counter max(Total) as Total by currentPage | eval percent = counter/Total

Since Total field is generated as same value for all events (eventstats without by clause), you can use any aggregation function of splunk to get it (min, max, values, first, last).

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The stats will remove all other fields which are not specified. Try something like this

eventName = pageLoad | eventstats count as Total | search currentPage "\/brands\/" | stats count(currentPage) as counter max(Total) as Total by currentPage | eval percent = counter/Total

Since Total field is generated as same value for all events (eventstats without by clause), you can use any aggregation function of splunk to get it (min, max, values, first, last).

faramarz
Path Finder

Amazing. Thanks so much 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...