Splunk Search

How to adjust the time in a timechart?

pavanae
Builder

I have a timechart which displays the results for the past 7 days. But now i don't want the Splunk to display the results for 24 hours of the each day in last 7 days. Instead of that, I just want to display the timechart from evening 7'o clock to morning 7'o clock for the last 7 days.

Is this scenario possible in Splunk? If yes, how can we do that?

0 Karma
1 Solution

gokadroid
Motivator

Can you try this please:

your Query that returns data of last seven days
|eval myHour=strftime(_time, "%H") 
| where myHour>=19  OR myHour<7
| complete your query to draw the timechart

OR adding per suggestion below:

| where date_hour>=19 OR date_hour<7

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gokadroid
Motivator

Can you try this please:

|eval myHour=strftime(_time, "%H") 
| where myHour>=19  OR myHour<7

OR adding per suggestion below:

| where date_hour>=19 OR date_hour<7
0 Karma

lquinn
Contributor

You could also just use the date_hour field in splunk, that is already extracted, instead of creating the myHour field.

gokadroid
Motivator

thanks @Iquinn Let me update that in the query as per suggestions. Awesome stuff.

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

It might be good to read up on some cautionary advice by search gurus @lguinn and @sideview on this post:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/387130/why-is-date-hour-inconsistent-with-h.html#answer-387134

gokadroid
Motivator

ok, so sounds like extracting the %H using strftime is the way to go as suggested in the read and as was in the initial answer. Thanks @ppablo_splunk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...