Splunk Search

How to add results of a lookup into a search?

TorbinIT
Path Finder

Hello!

I've got a search that I'm working on. I've been asked to integrate the results of a lookup table into that search.

The major problem is that the lookup file's data, while it shares common fields with the Splunk search, doesn't have the same dataset. The search and the lookup identify two different set of results.

Is there a way to simply add all the data in the lookup to the Splunk search so that when I run the search I see both data sets?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @TorbinIT,

in general you can add the lookup records to the search results only using the append command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/SearchReference/Append) but the effectiveness of this approach depends on your datasets (both search and lookup), on the fields you have and on the values of the common fields.

Could you share your search, a sample of results and the fields and values of your lookup?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @TorbinIT,

in general you can add the lookup records to the search results only using the append command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/SearchReference/Append) but the effectiveness of this approach depends on your datasets (both search and lookup), on the fields you have and on the values of the common fields.

Could you share your search, a sample of results and the fields and values of your lookup?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

TorbinIT
Path Finder

I just forgot the Append command existed. Thank you! 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @TorbinIT,

good for you, see next time!

let me know if I can help you more, or, please, accept one answer for the other people of Community.

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...