Splunk Search

How to detect four commands run within a 1 second time window?

garryplewson
Observer

Hello, 

I am trying to create a detection of the AWS exploitation tool Pacu.py. It is to detect the use of the enumeration tool within Pacu.py, which executes the following AWS commands in less than a second:

• ListUserPolicies
  • GetCallerIdentity
  • ListGroupsForUser
  • ListAttachedUserPolicies

Timeframe:

• First Event: 2022-05-19 10:02:25
  • Last Event: 2022-05-19 10:02:26

Each command generates a separate event so I was wondering if it is possible to create a search which detects these command executed from the same account within a 1 second timeframe?  I am unsure how to specify a time window so if you could help, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Query

index="aws-cloudtrail" "GetCallerIdentity" OR "ListUserPolicies" OR "ListGroupsForUser" OR "ListAttachedUserPolicies" | table _time, principalId, userName, aws_account_id, sourceIPAddress, user_agent, command

Many Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The most straightforward method may be transaction.  Since you are looking at a specific tool, I assume that there is an order of execution, e.g., 

1. ListUserPolicies
  2. GetCallerIdentity
  3. ListGroupsForUser
  4. ListAttachedUserPolicies

Given these assumptions, you can do something like

index="aws-cloudtrail" "GetCallerIdentity" OR "ListUserPolicies" OR "ListGroupsForUser" OR "ListAttachedUserPolicies"
```| table _time, principalId, userName, aws_account_id, sourceIPAddress, user_agent, command```
| transaction aws_account_id startswith=command=="ListUserPolicies" endswith=command=="ListAttachedUserPolicies" maxspan=1s mvlist=command
| where mvjoin(command, ",") == "ListUserPolicies,GetCallerIdentity,ListGroupsForUser,ListAttachedUserPolicies"

maxspan limits elapsed time from the first command to the last command.  The where filter is to constrain the order of execution.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...