Splunk Search

How to Capture & Compare _time from two searches using append ?

sjringo
Communicator

I am performing two searches in an attempt to calculate the duration, but am having some issues.

Here is what I have working so far. Im getting results but they are in two different rows when I see results, I was expecting for them to be in one row to be used to calculate the duration ?

What am I missing...

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType (aString1 AND "START of script")

| eval startTimeRaw=_time

| append [search index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType (aString1 AND "COMPLETED OK")

| eval endTimeRaw=_time ]

| table startTimeRaw, endTimeRaw

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

johnhuang
Motivator

Group it by date.

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourcetype aJobName ("START of script" OR "COMPLETED OK")
| eval startTimeRaw = if (match(_raw, "START of script"), _time, null()), endTimeRaw = if (match(_raw, "COMPLETED OK"), _time, null())
| eval event_date=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d")
| stats range(_time) as duration values(startTimeRaw) as startTimeRaw values(endTimeRaw) as endTimeRaw by event_date host
| eval duration = tostring (duration, "duration")
| table host, duration

View solution in original post

0 Karma

FelixLeh
Contributor

You could try the following:

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType

| transaction transaction_identifier startswith="START" endswith="COMPLETED OK"

The transaction_identifier has to be a value that is found in all relevant events and specific to that instance.
For example, if you want to track a purchase then the transaction_identifier could be the ID of the transaction.
Or if you want to track the session of a user you could use the username or the user's ID as the transaction_identifier.

0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

For this example there is no unique piece of data that identifies the unique start/end time on a per day basis.  It is the same job that runs every day and its the same job name and same start and stop entries every day.

Is there a way to make the date the unique identifier as I eventually want to show results by day over time?

I have this working when I run for a timerange of 'today' but it does not work when I run for more than one day. i.e. 'week to date'

Your example was missing 'aJobName' as I am scanning many .log files for many jobs but am currently only interested in one to get something working.

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourcetype aJobName ("START of script" OR "COMPLETED OK")

| eval startTimeRaw = if (match(_raw, "START of script"), _time, null()), endTimeRaw   = if (match(_raw, "COMPLETED OK"), _time, null())

| stats range(_time) as duration values(startTimeRaw) as startTimeRaw values(endTimeRaw) as endTimeRaw by host

| table host, duration

The results for a time range of today returns results like:

Host Duration
server1 00:17:41

When I run for week to date I get the following results:
Host Duration
server1 1+00:52:02

I currently only have two days of data in Splunk but I think what is happening is that each query is returning two events, which is also why in my results I only have one row instead of two (one for 9/23 and one for 9/22) but I dont know how to change the above query or approach to be able to show duration over time on a daily basis which I eventually want to dump into a timechart to show duration over time.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As @FelixLeh said, usually there must be some transaction identified which bind those event to the same physical event. You said that in this case it is a day. So we can do it by this way

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType aString1 ("START of script" OR "COMPLETED OK")
| eval startTimeRaw = if (match(_raw, "START of script"), _time, null()),
       endTimeRaw   = if (match(_raw, "COMPLETED OK"), _time, null())
| bin span=1d _time as trcId
| stats range(_time) as duration values(startTimeRaw) as startTimeRaw values(endTimeRaw) as endTimeRaw by trcId
| eval durationHuman = tostring (duration, "duration")
| table trcId, startTimeRaw, endTimeRaw

This divide events to 1 day slots and within those slots it calculate duration between start and end events. Probably you need to check that duration > 0 and if need take abs for it to get it right direction. 

0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

Group it by date.

| eval startTimeRaw = if (match(_raw, "START of script"), _time, null()), endTimeRaw = if (match(_raw, "COMPLETED OK"), _time, null())
| eval event_date=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d")
| stats range(_time) as duration values(startTimeRaw) as startTimeRaw values(endTimeRaw) as endTimeRaw by event_date host
| table host, duration

0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

Two follow up questions.

1)  Even though you suggest not using append, why does it not work ?  I have a working example using appendcols and assumed append would work similar.  In the appendcols example I use: " | stats count as X " for the first query variable then " | stats count as Y " for the second variable and then use X & Y to calculate a percentage.  But for this example trying to use eval instead of stats

2) The example makes sense up to "by <some id for transaction>".  What am I trying to reference here ?  From the search I have two events and two variables (startTimeRaw & endTimeRaw).

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

You should avoid to use append if possible. In this case you could try e.g.

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType aString1 ("START of script" OR "COMPLETED OK")
| eval startTimeRaw = if (match(_raw, "START of script"), _time, null()),
       endTimeRaw   = if (match(_raw, "COMPLETED OK"), _time, null())
| stats range(_time) as duration values(startTimeRaw) as startTimeRaw values(endTimeRaw) as endTimeRaw by <some id for transaction>
| eval durationHuman = tostring (duration, "duration")

Use in by your field which indentify that transaction.

r. Ismo 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...