Splunk Search

How many email triggered in a day and how to schedule a report to the user?

risingflight143
Explorer

Hi All

i am using the below query and it works fine. i.e how many emails were triggered to a Distribution list in a Month.

sourcetype="ms:o365:reporting:messagetrace"   SenderAddress=*** RecipientAddress=*dl1@contoso.com* Status IN (*) subject="***" MessageId=*** | timechart span=1mon count

I have the below requirement please guide me with query.

How many email triggered to the DL dl1@contoso.com on a day and subject of that email and sender address and i want to schedule this report to the user user1@contoso.com on daily basis.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FelixLeh
Contributor

sourcetype="ms:o365:reporting:messagetrace"   SenderAddress=* RecipientAddress=*dl1@contoso.com* Status IN (*) subject=* MessageId=*
| stats values(subject) as subject values(SenderAddress) as SenderAddress count by RecipientAddress

Does this achieve what you want?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

risingflight143
Explorer

The below syntax works fine , how do i add email received date.

sourcetype="ms:o365:reporting:messagetrace"   SenderAddress=* RecipientAddress=*dl1@contoso.com* Status IN (*) subject=* MessageId=*
| stats values(subject) as subject values(SenderAddress) as SenderAddress count by RecipientAddress

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @risingflight143,

to add a date similar to timechart, you have to use the bin command to group some timestamps otherwise you'll not be able to group events.

For this reason I used bin and in the stats command I added _time, that aren't present in your search.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

risingflight143
Explorer

I tried the below i have added received:date_month but i am not getting output

| stats values(subject) as subject values(SenderAddress) as SenderAddress count by RecipientAddress Received:date_month 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @risingflight143,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @risingflight143,

are you sure that in the same events there are RecipientAddress and Received:date_month?

this is the only reason to haven't  results.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @risingflight143,

let me understand:

• you have a search that dispaly the cout per day of the emails to dl1@contoso.com 
  • now to the count of the emails per day, you want to add also the list of subjects and the list of senders,

is this correct?

If this is your requirement, please try this:

sourcetype="ms:o365:reporting:messagetrace" SenderAddress=*** RecipientAddress=*dl1@contoso.com* Status IN (*) subject="***" MessageId=*** 
| bin span=1mon _time
| stats values(subject) AS subject values(sender) AS sender count BY _time

One additional hint: use always the index in your searches: they will be faster.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

FelixLeh
Contributor

Does this achieve what you want?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...