Splunk Search

How does anomalousvalue work in my search?

sharsmail
Engager

I'm trying to implement a search query in splunk to get anomalous values around a particular field in the service events.

Essentially the query looks something like this - 

index="abc" source=*servicename*  response_time |    anomalousvalue action=summary pthresh=0.1|search isNum=YES fieldname=response_time

And this gives me a table containing fields like catAnoFreq% , numAnoFreq%, stdev, etc

I looked the documentation https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.3/SearchReference/Anomalousvalue

but didn't understand how exactly it works. 

so for my query if the response_time field has a standard range of values across events, and if my p_thresh=0.1, does that mean that values which occur with a probability of just 10% will fall into the anomalous category? and if i wanted to set an alert on one of the fields in the table to detect anomaly, which would be recommended? i want to set the alert of any event where the response_time num field is not considered within the normal range.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

sharsmail
Engager

Can anyone help with the follow up question

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If p_thresh=0.1, an anomalous event must have at least one field whose value falls below probability of 10% or, if numeric, whose standard deviation is greater than 0.9.

To set alert, it would be simpler to use default action of filter.  Something like

index="abc" source=*servicename*  response_time
| fields response_time
| anomalousvalue action=filter pthresh=0.1

sharsmail
Engager

@yuanliu Thanks.

but if i want to set the alert based on the std value, say if its greater than 30, then using action=summary would be more appropriate? 

And i'm assuming its using the gaussian (normal) distribution for the response_time field since useNum=YES?

so if pthresh=0.01 which is 1% , does that mean it will filter the response_time field value which occur below 1%?

I also see some instances of the search returning both useNum=YES and useCat=YES. not sure why that would happen if in that case its still uses the gaussian distribution.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...