Splunk Search

How do you search for a specific word when you don't know what the field is?

brewster88

Heya Guys,

I'm very new to Splunk and this is likely an obvious answer or I have skimmed across documentation and missed it.

So at the moment, we are ingesting logs from Google cloud, and I am interested in finding specific words such as 'error', 'fail', etc. However, I do not know the specific field name where this might appear.

Is there a search I could run as a sort of catch all that could pick up on this within our environment?

Something like the below?

index="gcp_logs" (message contains 'error' OR 'fail*') 

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Assuming those words occur in the raw event, just enter those words as search terms: index="gcp_logs" ("error" OR "fail*")

Have you gone through the Fundamentals 1 training course yet? If not: I can really recommend it. It's a great introduction into the concepts of Splunk and the basic workings of the search language 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

brewster88

Really useful guys, this was exactly what I was after!

Will be starting the Splunk Fundamentals shortly as well 🙂

Kind Regards,

Tom

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

HI,

just simple search for the word

index="gcp_logs" error

BUT keep in mind there will be an AND between a error and another word you want to search.

So if you search for error fail, add a OR if you want events with both. so error OR fail

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Assuming those words occur in the raw event, just enter those words as search terms: index="gcp_logs" ("error" OR "fail*")

Have you gone through the Fundamentals 1 training course yet? If not: I can really recommend it. It's a great introduction into the concepts of Splunk and the basic workings of the search language 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...