Splunk Search

How do you reference the value of a transaction

adylent
Path Finder

Does anyone know if it is possible to reference the value of a transaction?

For instance

transaction account  startswith="event_type=login" endswith="event_type=logout" 

At this point I should have events encapsulating full user sessions (per account). Can I reference the value of a transaction?

Ideally I'd like to do something like

rex field=transaction mode=sed "s/oldvalue/newvalue/g"  

without have to do this on the _raw prior to the transaction.

Thanks greatly

0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

After the transaction command, all events that make up the transaction are stored in the _raw field. The old _raw is gone. Of course, events are only changed for the duration of the search - and not changed on disk.

Try it out, just as you wrote it, but remove the field=transaction part.

... | transaction account  startswith="event_type=login" endswith="event_type=logout" 
| rex mode=sed "s/oldvalue/newvalue/g"

/k

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

After the transaction command, all events that make up the transaction are stored in the _raw field. The old _raw is gone. Of course, events are only changed for the duration of the search - and not changed on disk.

Try it out, just as you wrote it, but remove the field=transaction part.

... | transaction account  startswith="event_type=login" endswith="event_type=logout" 
| rex mode=sed "s/oldvalue/newvalue/g"

/k

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...