Splunk Search

How do you pull field values from an outer query to show in final table where inner query uses the map command?

bobkaz

I have a log file from which I extract the below table of test results, where each test result row describes a particular test status (PASS OR FAIL) and shows test start and end times.

Action      Status      startTime               endTime

TEST_1      Success     1540031963.935      1540032192.644
    TEST_2      Success     1540030901.177      1540031831.031
    TEST_3      Success     1540030639.272      1540030890.771
    TEST_4      Success     1540030498.098      1540030628.755
    TEST_5      Success     1540030046.730      1540030487.604
    TEST_6      Fail               1540028918.752       1540030040.026

For each test result or row, I would like to show a count for number of exceptions encountered during that test that is between start and end time for that test and be able to disable table as such:

Action      Status      startTime       endTime         ExceptionCount

TEST_1      Success     1540031963.935      1540032192.644      10
TEST_2      Success     1540030901.177      1540031831.031      20
TEST_3      Success     1540030639.272      1540030890.771      0
TEST_4      Success     1540030498.098      1540030628.755      1
TEST_5      Success     1540030046.730      1540030487.604      0
TEST_6      Fail                1540028918.752      1540030040.026      15

I use the map command to iterate over each row/test result and use the rex command to parse and count exceptions between earliest and latest whose values come from the row's start and end times. This is working but I don't know how to pull in the value of Action and Status field from the outer query.

index=myIndex host=abc sourcetype=AbcServer source="/opt/*"   "Test Result:" | rex .*"Action: "(?\w+).*", Test Result: "(?\w+).*", Start Time: "(?\d+\.\d+)", End Time: "(?\d+\.\d+) 
    | table Action Status startTime endTime 
    | map maxsearches=1000 search="search index=myIndex host=abc  sourcetype=AbcServer earliest=$startTime$ latest=$endTime$ *Exception | rex .*\": (?[\w\.]*Exception)\" 
    | stats count(exceptionClass) as CNT" 
    | table Action Status CNT
Action      Status      CNT

Any thoughts on how to get Action and Status values into final result?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@bobkaz , you can try using Action and Status in the map command like the following and perform the stats by the two fields.

| eval Action=\"$Action$\", Status=\"$Status$\"
 | stats count(exceptionClass) as CNT" by Action Status

Following is the one SPL based on existing search ( I think some of the characters in your post do not show up as expected).

index=myIndex host=abc sourcetype=AbcServer source="/opt/*"   "Test Result:" | rex .*"Action: "(?\w+).*", Test Result: "(?\w+).*", Start Time: "(?\d+\.\d+)", End Time: "(?\d+\.\d+) 
 | map maxsearches=1000 search="search index=myIndex host=abc  sourcetype=AbcServer earliest=$startTime$ latest=$endTime$ *Exception | rex .*\": (?[\w\.]*Exception)\"

However, do give sample events for Exceptions corresponding to a test case so that we can assist you with any other approach as map could be an expensive command for correlation your use case.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@bobkaz , you can try using Action and Status in the map command like the following and perform the stats by the two fields.

Following is the one SPL based on existing search ( I think some of the characters in your post do not show up as expected).

However, do give sample events for Exceptions corresponding to a test case so that we can assist you with any other approach as map could be an expensive command for correlation your use case.

bobkaz

Hi niketnilay,

Thanks for your suggestion, I tweaked my SPL accordingly and it now runs successfully. However, when I add it to a statistics panel in the dashboard, it doesn't run and keeps saying "waiting for input", see attached picture.

SPL:

index=nsplogs host=hostA sourcetype=serverLog source="/opt/*"  "Test Result:" 
  | rex .*"Action: "(?\w+).*", Test Result: "(?\w+).*", Start Time: "(?\d+\.\d+)", End Time: "(?(\d+\.\d+)).*  
  | map maxsearches=1000 search="search index=nsplogs host=hostB sourcetype=serverLog earliest=$startTime$ latest=$endTime$ *Exception 
  | rex .*\": (?[\w\.]*Exception)\" | eval Action=\"$Action$\", Status=\"$Status$\", startTime=\"$startTime$\", endTime=\"$endTime$\"
  | stats count(exceptionClass) as ExceptionCount by Action Status"
  | table Action Status ExceptionCount

Note that values of host attribute reflect real server names and aren't parametrized or are not tokens, so I don't know what input it is waiting for.

Attached is a picture showing dashboard source code.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

alt text

alt text

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@bobkaz, the $ in the map command needs to be escaped in dashboard by prefixing with another $ sign. Refer to one of my previous answers: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/680801/why-is-the-search-using-map-wont-work-in-dashboard.html

Please try out and confirm! Do up vote if it helps 🙂

bobkaz

Hi niketnilay,

I figured out the problem. I had to replace every $ with $$ inside map command for SPL to work inside dashboard panel. Below is my working SPL:

index=nsplogs host=hostA sourcetype=serverLog source="/opt/" "Test Result:"
| rex .
"Action: "(?\w+).", Test Result: "(?\w+).", Start Time: "(?\d+.\d+)", End Time: "(?(\d+.\d+)).*

| map maxsearches=1000 search="search index=nsplogs host=hostB sourcetype=serverLog earliest=$$startTime$$ latest=$$endTime$$ Exception
| rex .
\": (?[\w.]*Exception)\" | eval Action=\"$$Action$$\", Status=\"$$Status$$\", startTime=\"$$startTime$$\", endTime=\"$$endTime$$\"
| stats count(exceptionClass) as ExceptionCount by Action Status"
| table Action Status ExceptionCount

Thanks a lot for your help, truly appreciated!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...