Splunk Search

How do you monitor a Windows shared directory?

alonsocaio
Contributor

I have Splunk Enterprise installed on a Linux Server. I need to monitor a Windows Shared Directory containing a CSV file that needs to be uploaded daily to Splunk.

Each time I try to create a monitor (Add Data -> Monitor -> Files & Directories) I get this error: "Parameter Name: Path must be absolute".

Is there any way to fix that? How can I check if the Splunk has access to the Windows shared directory?

0 Karma
1 Solution

efavreau
Motivator

Look to see if you can mount the windows directory. If the windows directory looks like part of the Linux filesystem, and Splunk has the permissions to access the mount, it may work for you.

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

efavreau
Motivator

Look to see if you can mount the windows directory. If the windows directory looks like part of the Linux filesystem, and Splunk has the permissions to access the mount, it may work for you.

###

alonsocaio
Contributor

I mounted the directory using cifs-utils. It worked now. Thanks.

0 Karma

efavreau
Motivator

Glad it worked for you. I'll write up a short answer.

###

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Install the Splunk Universal Forwarder on a Windows system that has access to the shared directory and configure it to monitor the file.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

joesrepsolc
Communicator

This is difficult to do given a windows share sits on a VIP and is load balanced. So this is not as straight forward as it may seem.

0 Karma

efavreau
Motivator

Can you mount the windows directory?

###

0 Karma

alonsocaio
Contributor

I cannot mount the Windows directory in the Linux server that Splunk is installed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...