Splunk Search

How do you find the avg time of transactions where the duration is longer than normal?

WarpedMonkey
Engager

Hi! I'm trying to get the avg time of transactions where the duration is longer than normal. I can successfully do what I want in a appendcols clause, but it feels like hard work for something simple. The appendcols is added at the end to show you what I wanted to do.

index=ourindex APIRequestStart OR APIRequestStop 
| transaction uuid startswith="* - APIRequestStart" endswith="* - APIRequestStop" 
| timechart count(eval(duration>2)) AS "Number Slow Transactions", **avg(eval(duration>2)) AS "Avg Slow Transactions"**, count AS "Total Transactions", avg(duration) AS "Avg Transactions" span=1h 

| appendcols [search index=index_cesoa* APIRequestStart OR APIRequestStop 
| transaction uuid startswith="* - APIRequestStart" endswith="* - APIRequestStop" 
| where duration > 2 
| timechart avg(duration) AS "Working Avg Slow Transactions" span=1h]
0 Karma
1 Solution

cmerriman
Super Champion

can you do this instead:

| transaction uuid startswith=" - APIRequestStart" endswith=" - APIRequestStop" 
|eval durationGT2=if(duration>2,duration,null())
| timechart count(durationGT2) AS "Number Slow Transactions", avg(durationGT2) AS "Avg Slow Transactions", count AS "Total Transactions", avg(duration) AS "Avg Transactions" span=1h

just add an eval to grab the durations you're looking for

View solution in original post

cmerriman
Super Champion

can you do this instead:

| transaction uuid startswith=" - APIRequestStart" endswith=" - APIRequestStop" 
|eval durationGT2=if(duration>2,duration,null())
| timechart count(durationGT2) AS "Number Slow Transactions", avg(durationGT2) AS "Avg Slow Transactions", count AS "Total Transactions", avg(duration) AS "Avg Transactions" span=1h

just add an eval to grab the durations you're looking for

WarpedMonkey
Engager

Perfect! I knew it was dead easy. Thanks a lot!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...