Splunk Search

How do you find the average count within a time range?

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

I have the following search that shows users who are continuously being infected over a 30 day period:

index=foo
| stats count range(_time) as TimeRange by user src app app:category app:subcategory threat url
| where TimeRange>1800 
| where NOT zone="null"
| eval TimeRange_In_Hours = round(TimeRange/3600,2), TimeRange_In_Days = round(TimeRange/3600/24,2)

is it possible to show the avg count within the time range being returned per user?

Thx

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

What average do you want to calculate?

0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

If possible, the avg hits within the TimeRange_In_Hours

Thx

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

So avg number of hits per hour? If count is the total number of hits, just do | eval avg_hits = count / TimeRange_In_Hours. Or am I not understanding your objective?

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

That was it - I was overthinking the issue when it ended being very simple

Thx!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Can we have some sample output, with example/dummy data?

0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Sure thing:

user src app app:category app:subcategory threat url count TimeRange TimeRange_In_Days TimeRange_In_Hours
jdoe x.x.x.x web-browsing general-internet internet-utility Virus/Win32.WGeneric.pppda(195251778) AliMiserUpdate.exe 4 2703 0.03 0.75
msmith x.x.x.x web-browsing general-internet internet-utility Virus/Win32.WGeneric.pppda(195251778) AliMiserUpdate.exe 7 7931 0.09 2.2
rjones x.x.x.x web-browsing general-internet internet-utility Generic User-Agent Traffic(10015) www.cnki.net/elearning/JournalMgr/JConfig.ini 3 23714 0.27 6.59
mhammer x.x.x.x web-browsing general-internet internet-utility Veil-Evasion Payload Detected(39480) openblas_warpper.dll 13 5853 0.07 1.63

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...