Splunk Search

How do you exclude an item from a lookup table and an additional condition?

yemyslf
Path Finder

I have a lookup table that I'm using to exclude some devices from search results.

index = my_index  
    | lookup my_table local=true device_id OUTPUT device_id as ignore  
    | where isnull(ignore)

This works great, but I need to add an additional condition to only exclude devices if they are in the lookup table and the value of the field "code" = 0001. So an event shouldn't be excluded even if it is in the lookup table unless code=0001 and events with code=0001 should be included if they are not in the lookup table.

I've tried the following but this also removes all items where

code=0001
index = my_index  
    | where (isnull(ignore) AND code!=0001)

I assume this is a dumb mistake in my logic but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?

0 Karma

integratorz
Path Finder

If you are looking to filter out events where ignore is null you can actually do this as well: ignore="*"

This essentially means ignore needs to have a value.

Also, to do the second filter I would do it this way:

index=my_index 
| search ignore="*" code!=0001

In the last line, anything after the search command implies AND

0 Karma

yemyslf
Path Finder

Thanks for the response. I'm actually trying to exclude events where the device_id is in my lookup table. So doing | search ignore="*" retrieves events that I want to exclude. Because "ignore" isn't a field on the other events, I can't do ignore !="*". I was using isnull(ignore) because that returns events where there is no ignore field.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...