Splunk Search

How do you assign a value to a field if it is missing the event?

vrmandadi
Builder

I have the sample data which has all the fields like below

[11/07/2018 09:59:00]      CAUAJM_I_40245 EVENT: ALARM            ALARM: JOBFAILURE       JOB: HYGIEIA_EC2_LOAD_ROOT **MACHINE: hexx.com** EXITCODE:  110

The below is the event with machine field missing

[11/07/2018 09:17:13]      CAUAJM_I_40245 EVENT: ALARM            ALARM: JOBFAILURE       JOB: FADB_OUT_CROSSINVEST_PFX_BOX EXITCODE:  9

Below is the search I am using

index=abc |rex field=_raw "MACHINE\:\s(?[^ ]+).*" 
| eval time=strftime(_time,"%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S") 
| eval node=host 
| eval resource="Auto" 
| eval type="Alarm" 
| eval severity=1 
| eval Machine_Name=case(isnull(Machine_Name),"NONE",isnotnull(Machine_Name),Machine_Name,1=1,"unknown")
| eval description="CAUAJM:" .CAUAJM ." STATUS:" . STAT . " JOB:" . JOB_Name . " MACHINE:" .Machine_Name. " with ExitCode:" .EXITCODE. " at:" . time . " Environment:AWP" 
| table node resource type severity CAUAJM job_event JOB_Name Machine_Name time description

The description part shows blank for the second event as there is no machine in it. How can I populate that so that the description part is not empty? I have attached a screen shot for better understanding

alt text

Thanks,

0 Karma

KailA
Contributor

Hi,

I think we can use an if to fill your description field like that :

index=abc 
|rex field=_raw "MACHINE\:\s(?[^ ]+).*" 
| eval time = strftime(_time,"%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S") ,
           node = host ,
           resource = "Auto" ,
           type = "Alarm" ,
           severity = 1,
           Machine_Name = case(isnull(Machine_Name),"NONE",isnotnull(Machine_Name),Machine_Name,1=1,"unknown"),
           description = if(isnull(Machine_Name),"Write your comment here","CAUAJM:" .CAUAJM ." STATUS:" . STAT . " JOB:" . JOB_Name . " MACHINE:" .Machine_Name. " with ExitCode:" .EXITCODE. " at:" . time . " Environment:AWP" )
| table node resource type severity CAUAJM job_event JOB_Name Machine_Name time description

I think that should do the trick 🙂

Let me know
KailA

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

Hello Kaila,

Thank you for your comment.I tried your search but the description just had the machine name that I gave.
Below is how the description looks for other events

CAUAJM:CAUAJM_I_40245 STATUS:JOBFAILURE JOB:GPW_AFF_PFX_DL MACHINE:GPWSYS.com with ExitCode:1 at:2018/11/08 08:04:05 Environment:AWP

but the one which I tried using yiur query just gives me the machine name but not the entire description

0 Karma

KailA
Contributor

Thats strange, I've just copy/paste you eval for description and add an if() in it.
But I think I understand what you wanted to do now, try that :

index=abc 
 |rex field=_raw "MACHINE\:\s(?[^ ]+).*" 
            node = host ,
            resource = "Auto" ,
            type = "Alarm" ,
            severity = 1,
            Machine_Name = case(isnull(Machine_Name),"NONE",isnotnull(Machine_Name),Machine_Name,1=1,"unknown"),
            description = if(isnull(Machine_Name),"CAUAJM:" .CAUAJM ." STATUS:" . STAT . " JOB:" . JOB_Name . " MACHINE:No Machine" . " with ExitCode:" .EXITCODE. " at:" . time . " Environment:AWP","CAUAJM:" .CAUAJM ." STATUS:" . STAT . " JOB:" . JOB_Name . " MACHINE:" .Machine_Name. " with ExitCode:" .EXITCODE. " at:" . time . " Environment:AWP" )

Let me explain : if your Machine_name field is null, it will return the descrption with MACHINE:No Machine (put whatever you want here), if not, it should return the full description.

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

If it is null then the description should be like below

CAUAJM:CAUAJM_I_40245 STATUS:JOBFAILURE JOB:GPW_AFF_PFX_DL MACHINE:no_machine with ExitCode:1 at:2018/11/08 08:04:05 Environment:AWP

0 Karma

KailA
Contributor

Ok but with the snippet of code I give it didn't return you

CAUAJM:CAUAJM_I_40245 STATUS:JOBFAILURE JOB:GPW_AFF_PFX_DL MACHINE:No Machine with ExitCode:1 at:2018/11/08 08:04:05 Environment:AWP
??

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

nope it did not return

0 Karma

KailA
Contributor

Ohhhhhh wait i'm so sorry, didn't saw that you forgot to give a name to your field in rex
I think that should work

index=abc 
|rex field=_raw "MACHINE\:\s(?<Machine_Name>[^ ]+).*" 
                        node = host ,
                        resource = "Auto" ,
                        type = "Alarm" ,
                        severity = 1,
                        Machine_Name = if(isnull(Machinecase),"no_machine",Machine_Name),
                        description = "CAUAJM:" .CAUAJM ." STATUS:" . STAT . " JOB:" . JOB_Name . " MACHINE:" .Machine_Name. " with ExitCode:" .EXITCODE. " at:" . time . " Environment:AWP" )

Hope it will work now...
KailA

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...