Splunk Search

How do I split a string which contains a path so I'm only getting the first two directories?

DamageSplunk
Explorer

I have several thousand events with a path such as d:\RNREDINFFTP01-AVREDINFWFS01\ebtest1\foo\bar\filename2.txt. The folder name is not static - I'm using a fschange monitor to pull the events so the root directory RNREDINFFTP01-AVREDINFWFS01 and the tertiary directories are not static.

I want to show the size of the files based on the first or second directory, depending on the users need for detail. For instance.

d:\RNREDINFFTP01-AVREDINFWFS01   100 files 100mb

OR

d:\RNREDINFFTP01-AVREDINFWFS01\ebtest1 50 files 50mb
d:\RNREDINFFTP01-AVREDINFWFS01\ebtest2 40 files 40mb
d:\RNREDINFFTP01-AVREDINFWFS01\ebtest3 10 files 10mb

I doubt I'll ever go past the 2nd directory. I've tried using rex and can't seem to get the groups right. If I was using vbscript or powershell I'd simply call split based on \ and then group by the first or the first+second directories. What am I missing?? ...and... what is the best way to tackle this?

1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

... rex field=source "(?<PathPrefix>(?:[^\\\]+\\\){2})"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

0 Karma

fdinkler
Observer

I'm trying to adapt this for a UNIX path, and I can't tell why it's not working.

I have is 

rex field=uri "(?<PathPrefix>(?:[^/]+/){2})"

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, it turns out you need an additional escape character like this (fixed in original answer, too):

DamageSplunk
Explorer

That did it! Thank you.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That regex doesn't compile.

If you meant to use a non-capturing group it should be (?:, not (?;.

DamageSplunk
Explorer

Thanks but I'm getting a different error now, Error in 'rex' command: Encountered the following error while compiling the regex '(?(?:[^]+){2})': Regex: missing terminating ] for character class .

I don't see any issues, there's matching Parens and Braces. Any ideas?

Thanks - Eric

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, thank you for catching the typo (stupid dumb-phone keyboard). It is fixed now.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...