Splunk Search

How do I search to exclude logs with extensions?

sravani27
Path Finder

Hi,
In my data, I have API calls with several extensions like (.html, .com, .php and many more). I am trying to exclude the logs that have these extensions. I tried the below.

index=abc  NOT (api_call=".html." OR api_call=".php")

But, I don't want to use NOT since there are many extensions that will come in the future.

Can anyone help?

0 Karma

horsefez
Motivator

Hi @sravani27,

As you don't want to use the NOT boolean expression to filter out the extensions, I have a suggestion how you can achieve your goal.

I would go for a lookup table that looks like this:
file_extensions.csv

extension,exclude
html,1
com,1
php,1

Upload that lookup to your system and add a lookup definition so you can use it in your search.

Then go ahead and write a search like this:

index=abc api_call=*
| rex field=api_call "(?<extracted_file_extension>[^\.]+?$)"
| inputlookup file_extensions extension AS extracted_file_extension OUTPUT exclude
| where isnull(exclude)

With that query you should be able to exclude all the unwanted extension types. And if you need to exclude more extensions in the future just add them to your csv.

Hope this helps 😃

horsefez
Motivator

@sravani27,

if you found my solution helpful and it worked for you please accept the answer.

Thanks!

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

You can extract the extension into a field and base your query on this field.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

if the field api_call has only extensions, yow can do: index=abc NOT api_call=*
if the field api_call has the file and extension you do: index=abc NOT api_call=.*

let us know if any of the above works for you as there are other ways to accomplish.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...