Splunk Search

How do I search for all events occuring 24 hours prior to a variable time?

eFlea

I'm running Splunk v4.1.5, and I'm trying to specify a time range in my search so that I can find events within a certain range prior to a given time.

For example, lets say I want to search for events occurring during the 24 hours prior to 10/07/2010:17:38:00. I cannot determine the correct syntax for this search.

Specifying the "earliest" date as "10/06/2010:17:38:00" seems to be an unsatisfactory solution, because I intend to determine the "latest" value using a subsearch, making the "latest" time a variable value.

My attempt at a search query that does this looks like:

'desthostname="www.google.com" earliest=-24h latest="10/07/2010:17:38:00"'

However, executing this search gives:

"Error in 'UnifiedSearch': Unable to parse the 'Invalid time bounds in search: start=1292201255 > end=1286498280' search."

This error seems to indicate that the relative "earliest" search term seems to be tied to the current time, not 10/07/2010:17:38:00, which is what I want.

How can I create a search query that allows me to specify a relative time range that is tied to an arbitrary time? If this isn't possible, is there a way to calculate a non-relative time value that is equivalent to 24 hours before my "latest" time?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend
desthostname="www.google.com" |
eval end_time = strptime("10/07/2010:17:38:00", "%D:%T") | 
eval start_time = relative_time(end_time,"-24h") |
search _time >= start_time AND _time <= end_time

This should work! For the green button, choose a time range that will include everything you are looking for - hopefully that doesn't mean searching "all time". You might consider creating a macro with a single argument. The argument would be the time string.

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, relative times are always relative to now(), so you won't be able to accomplish what I think you want to using the search language as such.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...