Splunk Search

How do I modify my search so that it will show either a Marker Gauge or Single Value visualization?

bworrellZP
Communicator

Howdy.

So I have two searches, which I have been asked to turn into "easy visualizations" so non-techies can look at it and go "This is bad, open a ticket."

Simple

index=location |search LockedStatus=Locked |rename UserAccountEntry as User |stats count as total by Location | sort 10 -total

Detailed

index=location |search LockedStatus=Locked |rename UserAccountEntry as User |stats count by Location User | stats list(User) as User list(count) as PerUser_count sum(count) as Total by Location | sort 10 -Total

(example of output of the details attached)
alt text

Just using the Visualization tab does not give me anything on a Marker Gauge, while the Single Value shows the location with the highest count. My understanding is they want to show the total number of today's account locks on the Marker Gauge and on the Single Value show today and show if its higher or lower then yesterday and by how much.

Having not used these before, looking for guidance.

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

For the Marker Gauge, try this (repeat for each location, since marker gauge can only show one number)

index=location LockedStatus=Locked Location=* earliest=@d | stats count as total 

For Single Value, try this (again, repeat for each location, if neeed)

index=location LockedStatus=Locked Location=* earliest=-1d@d | timechart count span=1d

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

For the Marker Gauge, try this (repeat for each location, since marker gauge can only show one number)

index=location LockedStatus=Locked Location=* earliest=@d | stats count as total 

For Single Value, try this (again, repeat for each location, if neeed)

index=location LockedStatus=Locked Location=* earliest=-1d@d | timechart count span=1d

bworrellZP
Communicator

Thank you, I will try that.

Is there a way I could sum the total and use that as my number?

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Sum which total? For single value comparison (show today and show if its higher or lower then yesterday and by how much) you will need both values. For Marker, there is only one number (total).

If you are referring to summing the total in your original query, you will have to end up with a single row for the gauge. It cannot accept multiple values. So you end result will have only the totals row.

0 Karma

bworrellZP
Communicator

Figured out how to change my query for the Marker. Your comment got me thinking. Thank you.

For the single value, the comparison of yesterday to today seems to be where I am missing something.

This is the search I am using, granted it gives me everything, not just the top 10, but I can live with that.

index=location |search LockedStatus=Locked |rename UserAccountEntry as User |stats count as total

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

For single value with comparison, you will need two values. Current and Previous. The panel, automatically picks the value from the second row for Previous and shows the comparison. You current search only returns one value. Also, in your search, it would be more efficient to move the LockedStatus=Locked to the first segment and since you're not using the user field, you can skip the rename.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...