Splunk Search

How do I join my epO events with my user login events?

gods_warrior

I am trying to alert on when a specific user logs into an affected / malware not cleaned machine. I am using the following search, but can't seem to get the join to work. All I see are the signatures from the Windows events, but nothing from McAfee..

index=wineventlog EventCode=4624 | lookup privileged_users.csv user | search nick="*" | join type=left user [search index=mcafee sourcetype="mcafee:epo:av" threat_handled=0 field user | rename user as pua] | stats count by pua

Thoughts?

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi gods_warrior,

you're joining on user but the subsearch does not return a user field it returns pua.

Anyway you can run this as one search without using join - see reason for that here https://answers.splunk.com/answers/129424/how-to-compare-fields-over-multiple-sourcetypes-without-jo... or in the March 2016 virtual .conf here http://wiki.splunk.com/Virtual_.conf

Back to your search:

( index=wineventlog EventCode=4624 search nick="*" ) OR ( index=mcafee sourcetype="mcafee:epo:av" threat_handled=0 field user ) 
| lookup privileged_users.csv user 
| stats count by user *any other further needed fields*

This should return a count of user from both indexes. Also this should straight away because you will get user from index=wineventlog and from index=mcafee based on your provided search example.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

gods_warrior

MuS .. Thanks for the reply. Still doesn't work .. the nick value is a field name in the lookup value for privileged_users.csv .. really what I am hoping to see is the user and signatures which I can add output as the following results. User logs into device that is infected and I can see the complete correlation on that result.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Can you provide examples from both sources please?

Meanwhile try this:

( index=wineventlog EventCode=4624 ) OR ( index=mcafee sourcetype="mcafee:epo:av" threat_handled=0 field user ) 
 | search nick="*"
 | stats count by user *any other further needed fields*
0 Karma

gods_warrior

I can't provide samples for compliance reasons. However, the search shows the succesful login event from windows but I don't see any correlation from the mcafee logs .. also I changed the value 0f =0 to =1 in the mcafee subsearch it doesn't appear to be reading the subsearch only the windows search..

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Okay let's do this step by step:

index=wineventlog EventCode=4624 

this returns a field called user, I know because you use it is the lookup 😉

the mentioned lookup the enrich user information

index=mcafee sourcetype="mcafee:epo:av" threat_handled=0 field user
as long as this search returns a field called user as well, you can use stats to group it by this field.

Please verify each search and make sure they both return a user field.
Don't use a sub search for this 😉

0 Karma

gods_warrior

I know that the user fields do exist in both searches. However, I don't see any type of signature or user logs from the mcafee search. The only think I see are the windows events. not sure why I am not seeing any output from the McAfee events..

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

check the time range and/or only search for the McAfee events to make sure they are available

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...