Splunk Search

How do I join 2 or more search results together on fields with different names?

chrismeyer75

For example, on one result I have a field 'Transactionid' equal to '12345' and on another result I have a field 'trans' = '12345'. I want to join these values together in one result and do some additional formatting.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

chrismeyer75

Here is where I'm at with this. I'm able to run the following searches and get the results I need with the exception that I don't get the results from the join.

index=syslog | rex "(?i) trans\\((?P[^\\)]+)" | join TransactionID [search index=dev_mq_esb | rex "(?i)Transactionid: (?P.+)" | rex "(?i)X-Archived-Client-Ip: (?P.+)"] | transaction TransactionID | xmlkv | table host source sourcetype TransactionID ClientIP LatencyCalc

index=dev_mq_esb | rex "(?i)Transactionid: (?P.+)" | rex "(?i)X-Archived-Client-Ip: (?P.+)" | rex "(?i)Latency: (?P.+)" | join type=inner TransactionID [search index=syslog | rex "(?i) trans\\((?P[^\\)]+)"] | transaction TransactionID | xmlkv | table host source sourcetype TransactionID ClientIP LatencyCalc

I'm looking for how I can get the results of the join to be accessible for the results table I'm trying to build or if there is a different way I can build this and still get the same results.

Thanks,

0 Karma

fdi01
Motivator

try this:

source="jms://queue/MPL1DEVWMB001:SplunkQueue" or source="upd:514" | rex "(?i)Transactionid: (?P<TransactionID>.+)" | rex "(?i) trans((?P<TransactionID>[^)]+)" | transaction TransactionID
0 Karma

chrismeyer75

Thanks. I actually ended up using this:

index=dev_mq_esb | rex "(?i)Transactionid: (?P.+)"| join TransactionID [search index=syslog | rex "(?i) trans\((?P[^\)]+)"] | transaction TransactionID

However, I don't see the results of the data I've joined to (i.e. results from index=syslog). Other than that, I am getting what I was expecting to see. Any thought on how I would get the results from the join transactions to show as well?

Thanks

0 Karma

chrismeyer75

Hi everyone, I'm listing transactions as an example of the events I'm looking to join. I need to be able to join these based on the 'Transactionid' and 'trans' fields. Another challenge is extracting these values as that currently isn't happening dynamically when I query based on the transaction. Currently, I just queried on the actual Transaction ID value but ultimately won't have that available. I want to eventually be able to report on this by pulling trip times from the latency transaction that is listed first but I also need information on the other events so we can report more details on what the transaction was for. I hope this helps provide more info. I've bolded the Transactionid and trans fields below. Thanks!

Apr 24 11:16:56 192.168.82.199 Apr 24 11:16:55 datapower-dev-dev [0x80e00073][latency][info] mpgw(dispatcher-mpg): trans(4607697)[192.168.82.113]: Latency: 0 29 0 28 29 20 0 22988 22988 22988 22988 22988 0 22988 28 29 [https://192.168.82.199:443/star/services/VehicleServiceHistory/Get]
host = 192.168.82.199 source = udp:514 sourcetype = syslog

Fri Apr 24 11:16:55 CDT 2015 name="QUEUE_msg_received" event_id="ID:414d5120514d5f4d504c31444556574d7a183955200e211e" msg_dest="SplunkQueue" msg_header_timestamp="1429892215560" msg_header_correlation_id="ID:414d5120514d5f4d504c31444556574d90883355203552bd" msg_header_delivery_mode="1" msg_header_expiration="0" msg_header_priority="0" msg_header_redelivered="false" msg_header_type="null" msg_property_JMS_IBM_Format=" " msg_property_JMS_IBM_Character_Set="UTF-8" msg_property_JMSXDeliveryCount="1" msg_property_JMS_IBM_Encoding="546" msg_property_JMSXUserID="SYSTEM " msg_property_JMS_IBM_MsgType="8" msg_property_JMS_IBM_PutApplType="26" msg_property_JMS_IBM_PutDate="20150424" msg_property_JMS_IBM_PutTime="16165556" msg_property_JMSXAppID="QM_MPL1DEVWMB001 " msg_body="

0 Karma

chrismeyer75

This is the search query I'm currently trying to use to get this information:

source="jms://queue/MPL1DEVWMB001:SplunkQueue" or source="upd:514" | rex "(?i)Transactionid: (?P.+)" | rex "(?i) trans\((?P[^\)]+)" | transaction TransactionID

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

Hi chrismeyer75

You can use these search code

|set  union[search sourcetype=.......    Transactionid= '12345' ] [search sourcetype=......     trans= '12345']|table_raw

|multisearch [search sourcetype=.......    Transactionid= '12345' ] [search sourcetype=......     trans= '12345']|table_raw

Run these example

|set union[search  sourcetype=access_* method=GET ][search sourcetype=access_* method=POST]|table_raw

|multisearch [search search sourcetype=access_* method=GET][search sourcetype=access_*  method=POST]|table _raw 
0 Karma

Gilberto_Castil
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You are looking for coalesce. This command will allow you to concatanate different fields definitions onto a single named field. For instance:

(sourcetype=a OR sourcetype=b) [ ... ] | eval Transactionid=coalesce(Transactionid,trans)

http://blogs.splunk.com/2014/03/21/search-command-coalesce/

As an alternative, you can just rename the field in sourcetype B as Transactionid with a fieldalias. You then use a search like so:

(sourcetype=a OR sourcetype=b) [ ... ] | transaction Transactionid

or

(sourcetype=a OR sourcetype=b) [ ... ] | stats count by Transactionid

--gc

0 Karma

the_wolverine
Champion

You could rename one field to match the other, then use transaction:

Transactionid=* OR trans=* | rename Transactionid as trans | transaction trans
0 Karma

Gilberto_Castil
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not sure about rename but it is worth trying. Playing with these options should take less than ten precious minutes.

0 Karma

chrismeyer75

I am trying to join the 2 search results but not the fields. It looks like another thing I need to do is extract the fields I am needing to work with.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

You should provide some sample events and the result you expect to get, this will help a lot 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...