Splunk Search

How do I get span=1m to work with eventstats in the same search?

angelo_fazzina
Engager

This is my search so far.

sourcetype="spam" |eventstats count as total|search  block_code="*" |eventstats count as blocked|eval blk_prcnt=round((blocked/total)*100,2)|timechart span=1m values(blk_prcnt)

It seems to print the total percentage over the last 15 minutes that I am running it on.
I thought eventstats keeps all data, but it seems like something is getting lost?

Goal is a table or chart of total, blocked, and blk_prcnt for every minute.
Was starting slow and looking to get blk_prcnt every minute, for a 15 minute interval.

TIA,
-ALF

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You're filtering events ( |search block_code="*" ) and that may be reason for incomplete results. Give this a try

sourcetype="spam" |eventstats count as total, count(block_code) as blocked|eval blk_prcnt=round((blocked/total)*100,2)|timechart span=1m values(blk_prcnt)

If you want a table with blk_prcnt for calculated for each minute, you need to include time into equation . Something like this

sourcetype="spam" | timechart span=1m count as total, count(block_code) as blocked  |eval blk_prcnt=round((blocked/total)*100,2)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You're filtering events ( |search block_code="*" ) and that may be reason for incomplete results. Give this a try

sourcetype="spam" |eventstats count as total, count(block_code) as blocked|eval blk_prcnt=round((blocked/total)*100,2)|timechart span=1m values(blk_prcnt)

If you want a table with blk_prcnt for calculated for each minute, you need to include time into equation . Something like this

sourcetype="spam" | timechart span=1m count as total, count(block_code) as blocked  |eval blk_prcnt=round((blocked/total)*100,2)
0 Karma

angelo_fazzina
Engager

the 2nd one you gave worked, the 1st one was no different than my original one.
thank you.

I need to run this over the last year, so need to look into what commands are most efficient.
-ALF

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Do you need span=1m for last year as well??

0 Karma

angelo_fazzina
Engager

No, i will do span=1mon
-ALF

0 Karma

vasildavid
Path Finder

I think something with buckets could work for you:

sourcetype="spam"
| bucket _time span=1m
| stats count AS total, count(eval(isnotnull(block_code))) AS blocked by _time
| eval blk_prcnt=round((blocked/total)*100,2)

angelo_fazzina
Engager

that worked Awesome, wish i understood it ????
how the hec did you get blk_prcnt into the output table?

i'm guessing the stats command put the other 2 "total" and "blocked" into the table.
Guess i got a lot of manual reading to do.
-ALF

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...