Splunk Search

How do I get row number grouped by column?

leatherface
Explorer

I can add an absolute row number to my search results with

streamstats count as row 

However, I would like the row count to group by other columns. So in the example below, the row number groups by COL_A - each time the value of COL_A changes, the row number (ROW column) resets to 1 again

ROW | COL_A | COL_B

---------------------
1   | ABC   | 123    
2   | ABC   | 456
3   | ABC   | 789
1   | DEF   | 123
2   | DEF   | 456
1   | GHI   | 789

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Tags (3)
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

index="the_index" earliest=-7month@month latest=@month | bucket _time span=1month | stats count by custName _time | table custName _time count | streamstats count as row by custName| fields row *

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

index="the_index" earliest=-7month@month latest=@month | bucket _time span=1month | stats count by custName _time | table custName _time count | streamstats count as row by custName| fields row *

somesoni2
Revered Legend

YOu are almost there. Just add a "by COL_A" in you streamstats command.

leatherface
Explorer

Actually, worked it out. the "by" clause goes after the "as" clause, which is not like usual Splunk syntax. I would have expected an error rather than an empty column. Anyway, thanks for the help. For clarity, the correct search is:

index="the_index" earliest=-7month@month latest=@month  |  bucket _time span=1month | stats count by custName _time |  table  custName _time count | streamstats  as row count by custName | fields row *

Not sure how to mark your answer as correct and give you points if you only gave it in a comment rather than as an answer, but thanks again!

0 Karma

leatherface
Explorer

Streamstats works for me if I don't have a "by" clause, but as soon as I add the "by", the column has no values. My search is trying to create a set of row numbers per custName, with the count column being the number of records for that customer in the month:

index="the_index" earliest=-7month@month latest=@month  |  bucket _time span=1month | stats count by custName _time |  table  custName _time count | streamstats count by custName  as row | fields row *

What stupid mistake am I making?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...