Splunk Search

How do I get ratio of counts from one search to counts from another?

mariagullickson
Explorer

I'm using splunk to track events that happen with users in different treatments of a split test. For example, how often do users in treatment 1 register or perform a search vs. users in treatment 2 or treatment 3.

I can see the results to see the raw number of times each event occurred for each treatment using something like the following:

sourcetype=eventtracking | stats count by eventtype, treatment

Which produces something like this:

Search  treatment1  900
Search  treatment2  200
Login   treatment1  135
Login   treatment2  10

This works great when all the tests are equal - if there are 2 treatments at 50% each for example. But when the tests are unequal, for example if one treatment is at 10% and the other at 90%, it's hard to find meaning in the graphs, because the larger group will always have more events.

I can get a count of how many users are in each group using something like the following:

sourcetype=eventtracking | stats distinct_count(user_guid) as count by treatment

Which produces something like this:

treatment1  90
treatment2  10

I'd like to see the number of times an event occurred divided by the number of people in the test group, to even out the playing field. I've tried a number of different things with no luck. How can I combine these queries to see proportional results, something like this:

Search  treatment1  10
Search  treatment2  20
Login   treatment1  1.5
Login   treatment2  1

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The most efficient way is to use eventstats:

sourcetype=eventtracking
| stats count
        dc(user_guid) as UserCount
  by eventtype, treatment
| eventstats sum(UserCount) as UserCount by treatment
| eval pct=100*count/UserCount

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The most efficient way is to use eventstats:

sourcetype=eventtracking
| stats count
        dc(user_guid) as UserCount
  by eventtype, treatment
| eventstats sum(UserCount) as UserCount by treatment
| eval pct=100*count/UserCount

mariagullickson
Explorer

Sorry it's taken me a week to reply. But that's perfect. Gets exactly what I want. Thanks!

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

oh right. then you need:

sourcetype=eventtracking | stats count, values(user_guid) as UserList by eventtype,treatment | eventstats dc(UserList) as UserCount by treatment | eval pct=100*count/UserCount

mariagullickson
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem there is that the distinct count is no longer distinct. A user will get counted once per eventtype, not once overall.

0 Karma

mariagullickson
Explorer

Thanks! I have been trying to figure this out for a couple of weeks, and of course just came up with the right answer shortly after posting. This version works across treatments without me having to hardcode the treatment names:

sourcetype=eventtracking | stats count as EventCount by treatment, eventtype | join treatment [search sourcetype=eventtracking | stats distinct_count(user_guid) as UserCount by treatment] | eval ratio = EventCount / UserCount

0 Karma

amars1983

If you do an individual search for each treatment group and eventtype, i.e:

sourcetype=eventtracking eventype=search treatment=treatment1

then you could just do an eval on the two results:

sourcetype=eventtracking eventype=search treatment=treatment1 | stats distinct_count(user_guid) as Users | eval percentage=(Users/count)*100

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...