Splunk Search

How do I filter my time chart results to only display devices that have a count of zero for any week within a certain time range?

g038123
Explorer

I'm fairly new to Splunk and have a search that basically returns a count of the number of times a device logs in to our system and uploads data each week. The time chart looks similar to this.

_time     Device A  Device B  Device C   Device D
2015-10-04  1        1      1         0
2015-10-11  1        1      1         0
2015-10-18  1        1      1         2
2015-10-25  1        0      1       1
2015-11-01  1        0      2         1
2015-11-08  1        1      1         1
2015-11-15  1        1      3         1

The only devices I'm concerned about are those that have zero connections at some point: Devices B and D. How would I filter those that are working as intended, Devices A and C, from my results?
The total device list can be in the thousands depending on the geography I search in. I'm only interested in the ones that appear to be having issues, those with a zero count for a week or more, so I can focus on that population.

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should do:

base search | timechart count by device | untable _time device count
| eventstats min(count) as min by device | where min=0
| xyseries _time device count

First, make your initial timechart and flip that into a stats-like table, then filter by "device has a value that's zero", then flip back into timechart-like table.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should do:

base search | timechart count by device | untable _time device count
| eventstats min(count) as min by device | where min=0
| xyseries _time device count

First, make your initial timechart and flip that into a stats-like table, then filter by "device has a value that's zero", then flip back into timechart-like table.

g038123
Explorer

That worked perfectly, thank you for the step by step explanation, it was very helpful.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...