Splunk Search

How do I extract these 3 separate fields from Retina syslog output?

adamschmitz
Path Finder

I'm trying to extract the below syslog messages from Retina network scanner into 3 separate fields. Each time I start the extraction, I get the below message.

The extraction failed. If you are extracting multiple fields, try removing one or more fields. Start with extractions that are embedded within longer text strings

Here are a few samples.

Feb  1 13:33:23 10.5.3.62 2016- 2- 1 19:33:24 Retina: Retina has found Medium Severity audit SSL/TLS RC4 Cipher Suites Supported on ip 10.5.1.47.
Feb  1 13:31:49 10.5.3.62 2016- 2- 1 19:31:50 Retina: Retina has found Low Severity audit TFTP Server Detected on ip 10.5.3.2.
Feb  1 13:33:21 10.5.3.62 2016- 2- 1 19:33:22 Retina: Retina has found Medium Severity audit SSL Weak Cipher Suite Encryption Algorithm Key Length Supported on ip 10.5.1.47.
 Feb  1 13:33:20 10.5.3.62 2016- 2- 1 19:33:21 Retina: Retina has found Medium Severity audit SSL Weak Cipher Suite Supported on ip 10.5.1.47.
 Jan 20 04:34:30 10.5.3.62 2016- 1-20 10:34:32 Retina: Retina has found High Severity audit Microsoft Office Remote Code Execution - 3114553 Office 2010 on ip 10.5.3.67.

The 3 fields I want to extract are severity (High, Medium, Low), the vulnerability which is all text between the work 'audit' and the word 'on', the last field is the ip address.

I can get it to extract the severity, but it fails doing the other 2 fields.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

In props.conf

[yoursourcetypehere]
EXTRACT-ef1=has found (?<severity>\w+) Severity audit
EXTRACT-ef2=audit (?<vulnerability>.*)\son\s
EXTRACT-ef3= on ip (?<ip>\S+).$

If you don't have access to props.conf,you can use the regular expressions that follow the =. Using the field extractor, just choose to edit the regular expression - then replace the regular expression with what is given here. You will need to run the field extractor 3 times - once for each field: severity, vulnerability, ip.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This regex string works with your sample data.

"(?<severity>\w+?) Severity audit (?<vuln>.*?) on ip (?<ip>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

In props.conf

[yoursourcetypehere]
EXTRACT-ef1=has found (?<severity>\w+) Severity audit
EXTRACT-ef2=audit (?<vulnerability>.*)\son\s
EXTRACT-ef3= on ip (?<ip>\S+).$

If you don't have access to props.conf,you can use the regular expressions that follow the =. Using the field extractor, just choose to edit the regular expression - then replace the regular expression with what is given here. You will need to run the field extractor 3 times - once for each field: severity, vulnerability, ip.

adamschmitz
Path Finder

Both ways worked but I like the props.conf method.

Thanks to both of you! Time for me to learn how to do extractions.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...