Splunk Search

How do I export Splunk dashboard charts to MS-Word document

syusjk6
Engager

Hi, I'm not sure that I'm asking this kind of question here. However, here goes my scenario:

I created Splunk dashboard where single or multiple charts are positioned.
And my colleague wants to simply drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste those charts shown in Splunk dashboard into Microsoft Word template, in much the similar way that we insert jpeg images into MS-Word document.
What he wants to achieve is to embed Splunk charts onto MS-Word document just like snapping so that he would ease some burden when creating MS-Word report. Oh, this MS-Word report illustrates several Splunk dashboard charts.
Whenever he creates a MS-Word report, he does not want to go through some Splunk REST API-related coding or use the one in combination with a reporting library such as "matplotlib."

My question is, first, are there any Splunk Apps for offering such "copy-and-past" or "drag-and-drop"-like functionality? And two, how could this fuctionality be done without using Splunk REST API in the perspective of high-end user who doesn't have coding skill? Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

This is, as I see it, the biggest drawback of the new Javascript charts. The old Flash chart had its issues, but it allowed you to right click on the Flash applet and let you save it as an image. Not strictly drag'n'drop but pretty close at least. The Javascript chart, as you've discovered, doesn't let you do anything like this and I'm surprised that it was still allowed to be shipped with the product - it's a very common use case for a user to be able to copy charts from Splunk and paste them elsewhere without having to resort to taking screenshots and cropping them.

The FlashChart module still exists, so if you're doing dashboards in advanced XML you could just use that instead of the JSChart module. All views that come with Splunk out of the box use (to my knowledge) the JSChart module though.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hmm I suppose if you use a non-jschart-supported browser like IE7, you could use the Flash "save as image" function.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I don't know of any such app. However, there are a couple of ways you can do this. First, you can simply take screen shots of your browser and paste them into MS Word, as people often do in most visualization tools. You could also use the "print" button if one appears on the dashboard, or the "print" functionality of the browser to get the pictures into a format you can include in Word.

0 Karma

syusjk6
Engager

The Splunk App or the desired functionality would be to dump various graphic charts in Splunk dashboard to Microsoft Office Word document OR to generate new MS Word document in which those charts have already embedded to the Word document once I create a new MS Word file.

0 Karma

syusjk6
Engager

Ops, let me paste the link to refer to here:

http://splunk base.splunk.com/apps/64133/office-documents-template system-odts-for-splunk

0 Karma

syusjk6
Engager

Would you take a look at the following link:http://splunk base.splunk.com/apps/64133/office-documents-template system-odts-for-splunk?This app is called "Office Documents Template System(ODTS) for Splunk" and instead of dumping Splunk results to new document,the app that I want should insert those Splunk charts to somehow conveniently or even better automatically insert to the MS Word document for visualization purpose.And you're saying that there are none of Splunk apps or any other ways,except printing individual charts and saving them one-by-one as an image file,offering the functionality?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...