Splunk Search

How do I exclude events based on lookup file contents?

bt149
Path Finder

I have a lookup file that has 5 columns.  Those are src_ip, dest_ip, dest_port, signature and active.

src_ip has 18 values while the dest_ip has 50 values.  Signature is based on the dest_ip field, meaning 30 of the dest_ip we'll see a signature named "ssh login."  The other 20 sigs will be "ftp login."  sigs that are "ssh login" will always be dest_port=22 and sig "ftp login" will always be dest_port=21.

The src_ip can hit any of the destinations / dest_ports / signatures.

I've tried this in my search but it falls short of adding in the src_ip against all the dest_ip.

| inputlookup exclusion_list.csv | fields src_ip dest_ip dest_port signature | format | table search

The issue I'm seeing is once the search gets to a row in the lookup file that doesn't contain a src_ip it doesn't add on to the results.  So in essence I end up with 18 line that have:

( (dest_ip=xxxx AND dest_port=22 AND signature=xxx AND src_ip=yyyy) OR (dest_ip=xxxx AND dest_port=22 AND signature=xxx) )

I can't figure out how to make the command sedn the src_ip's to all the dest_ip / dest_port / signature combos.

This is hard to write out what I want but hopefully there is some help out there.  Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want to map all src_ip with all the combo's of dest_ip, dest_port, and signature, try them as two sub-search separately and search it.

<your search>
[| inputlookup exclusion_list.csv | fields src_ip | format | table search]
[| inputlookup exclusion_list.csv | fields dest_ip dest_port signature | format | table search]

If you want to exclude this then you may need to try something like:

<your search>
NOT (
[| inputlookup exclusion_list.csv | fields src_ip | format | table search]
[| inputlookup exclusion_list.csv | fields dest_ip dest_port signature | format | table search])
0 Karma

bt149
Path Finder

Unfortunately this does not work.  The issue I'm running into is the rows where a src_ip does not exist, because there is only ~18 src_ip and there are ~50 dest_ip / dest_port / signature, anything I'm doing stops at the ~19 line.  I'm looking to have any src_ip with any dest_ip/port/signature combo.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you please give show what your lookup has and what your _raw data has? So I can help you further.

Just make changes in the IP addresses or mask if require.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't quite follow what you want as a result. A subsearch will return a formatted complex condition based on the list of fields present in each result row separately.

So if you have a lookup that has fields f1, f2 and f3 and only some of them have values yoh should get something along the like of  ((f1=x) OR (f2=x AND f3=x) OR (f2=x) OR ...).

If you need to fil empty fields with some value, you can do eval with coalesce() or simply fillnill.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...