Splunk Search

How do I edit my search to get a total sum of list(count)?

mikesangray
Path Finder

I've got this search working to show me allowed (!=blocked) network activity that lists the dest_ip, and dest_port, grouped by src with a count for each. Now I just want to get the total number of hits so I can eventually sort by highest hit count per individual src.

How can I get the total? I'm assuming I would use the list(count) column numbers, but no luck so far.

index=firewall action!=blocked src={your.ip.address}
|stats count by src,dest_port,dest_ip |stats list by src
Tags (4)
0 Karma

knielsen
Contributor

Hi,

If I understood correctly, you simply need to use it like this:

|stats count by src,dest_port,dest_ip |stats list sum(count) by src

Hth,
Kai.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

|stats count by src,dest_port,dest_ip | eventstats sum(count) as count_src by src | sort 0 src count_src dest_port dest_ip

mikesangray
Path Finder

hm...no, with that string I lose my grouping. I'm working with this for now. Not ideal, but I'm getting the data I want.

|stats count by src,dest_port,dest_ip |eventstats sum(count) by dest_ip |stats list by src

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...